Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cohabiting while getting FAS payment?

Options
  • 10-05-2013 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi, I am currently on Jobseekers Allowance and sharing a house with some friends, my girlfriend is in another house and is in full-time employment. We didn't move in together because we live quite close and were afraid my dole would be cut off. I will be starting a full time FAS course in June and was wondering would the FAS payment be subject to the same cohabiting rules as the dole if we moved in together?
    Also how do I calculate how much I'd lose if we moved in together? She earns about 30 thousand gross per annum. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

If your not living together then your not cohabiting, nothing to do with Fás in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭hardwood

Hi, I wanted to know what the situation would be with the FAS payment if we did move in together. I've edited my original post to make it clearer, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I cant remember if FAS payments are now means tested.

If they are you'll get about €23 per week, based on a take home pay of €475 p/w and no dependants.

If its not means tested then you'll get about €200 p/w.

its no clearer here:

http://www.fas.ie/en/Allowances+and+Grants/Training+Allowances/default.htm
    Training Allowances
    Course Participant Training Allowances
    (A) Participants in Receipt of Job Seeker's Allowance Full-time hrs/pw)

Effective Date: New Entrants from 1 January 2013

Course Participant Aged Under 25 Years * 160.00
    Course Participant Aged 25 Years and Over
    Social Welfare Entitlement (Per Form F103)

* If a Participant under 25 Years receives a social welfare allowance lower than the standard allowance, FÁS will pay the appropriate training allowance for the full duration of the course.

Advertisement