Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corsair Vengeance Heatsink removal.

Options
  • 09-05-2013 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hello.
    I have just bought 8gb of ram from Corsair and have discovered that there is not enough clearance to place them in my motherboard due to my big Enermax ETS-T40 CPU Cooler.

I really need a safe way to remove the heatsink as the only alternative I have is returning them and buying something else. (Very inconvenient)

I have seen a few videos saying just pry them apart(not going to do that) or use a heat gun or hairdryer to soften the adhesive and pull them off.
    It appears that there is some kind of clip or latch on either side of the ram if that helps?
    What should I do?

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/635011/253200.JPG

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/635011/253201.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Pulling them apart and doing it wrong will mean no return of course. Perhaps flog/trade 'em on adverts?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SICO94

Most likely going to return corsair ram for a refund and get these for the same price
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0050119O0/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Is it worth it and will they fit?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

If you bought it off Corsair they have low profile versions of most Vengance RAM that they might be willing to exchange it for? (Linking to HWVS for illustration purposes only).

Not sure how much additional clearance you need but looking at specs of similar sticks on amazon the GSkill RAM is 2cm in height VS 2.5 cm for the Vengance RAM you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Corsair also do low profile versions of the vengence ram,no heat spreaders (which im not really sure are nessacery other than looks):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00569K7LM/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1368143352&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

Might give you a bit more room.

Beaten too it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

marco_polo wrote: »
    If you bought it off Corsair they have low profile versions of most Vengance RAM that they might be willing to exchange it for? (Linking to HWVS for illustration purposes only).

I have 8GB of this exact stuff in my PC and it's perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Digy123

If its Vengeance you want,Corsair provides a Low Profile Series of their vengeance line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

marco_polo wrote: »
    If you bought it off Corsair they have low profile versions of most Vengance RAM
    EoinHef wrote: »
    Corsair also do low profile versions of the vengence ram
    Digy123 wrote: »
    If its Vengeance you want,Corsair provides a Low Profile Series of their vengeance line.

Hey apparently there is a low profile version of that ram!!!! ;)

There are guides on the net on how to take off the heat spreader(which don't do anything btw) but of course there is some risk involved and you would lose your warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I've read in a few places that the heat spreaders are really just a throwback to DDR2, where voltages (and consequently temperatures) tended to be higher. Is this really true? Are they really just a throwback/for show?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I wouldn't quite say that. I have unheatspreadered (?!) RAM in my server, and I've seen it hit 80° before. I can't remember what temperatures RAM chips are rated for, but I can't imagine it would be anything too far above that. We certainly don't need these types any more:

ocz-reaperx-hpc.jpg

(That RAM was awesome, back in the day) But I still do think decent RAM does need something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

For the most part, I'd say so, yeah. At your average speeds, the RAM is rarely more than a little warm. Also, a lot of the spreaders are just made of plastic which wouldn't be much use in conducting heat. Higher clocks and voltages would be a different story, however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Serephucus wrote: »
    I wouldn't quite say that. I have unheatspreadered (?!) RAM in my server, and I've seen it hit 80° before. I can't remember what temperatures RAM chips are rated for, but I can't imagine it would be anything too far above that. We certainly don't need these types any more:

ocz-reaperx-hpc.jpg

(That RAM was awesome, back in the day) But I still do think decent RAM does need something.

Server memory is a different animal though as it they are FB(Fully Buffered) DIMMS and the voltages are usually higher therefore increasing the heat output.

Advertisement