Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing in Canada

Options
  • 09-05-2013 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Ok, so my partner and I are planning to make the move to Alberta, Canada and I was wondering has anybody went over there to work as a plumber on an LMO.

I would like to get any advice on how best to secure a job plumbing over there before I leave Ireland and if anybody could let me know how they are finding work over there that would be great.

I was also wondering can my partner come over with me if I secure employment on the LMO scheme until she maybe gets a work permit? or will she need a work permit before she leaves Ireland?

Sorry for all the questions but i'm just at the start of my emigration plans!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JimmyS28

I'm a plumber aswell and i looked into this a while back
    through internet searches. Your qualification wont be recognised in the long
    term. You can work as a plumber in Canada at a reduced rate but within 6 months you must sit the Red Seal exam. Its the equivalent to our Phase 6 final exam.

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Man on Fire

Fair play for getting the ball rolling... wish i had the bottle to do it... few of my mates in saskatoon doing very well.. says plenty of work over there

• Registered Users Posts: 14 creativefreak

Thanks for letting me know about that Jimmy. I wouldn't mind working at a reduced rate for 6 months if it meant getting the big bucks after that. If I do go i'd be looking at staying long term and applying for residency.

I went to a presentation from a crowd called visasfirst.ie and they are gonna try sort the whole thing out for us by getting an open work permit and they hope to get the employer to pick up the tab on that too.

It's madness I done my apprenticeship ended up out of work so I done a 3 year honours degree in business and still cant get work. I'm fed up sitting around on the dole getting 90 quid a week coz I live with my partner we're not even married and they screw us out of it!

Sorry for the rant it's slightly off topic here, but it sucks. Ah well on to a better life hopefully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Daithi 81

Thanks for letting me know about that Jimmy. I wouldn't mind working at a reduced rate for 6 months if it meant getting the big bucks after that. If I do go i'd be looking at staying long term and applying for residency.

I went to a presentation from a crowd called visasfirst.ie and they are gonna try sort the whole thing out for us by getting an open work permit and they hope to get the employer to pick up the tab on that too.

It's madness I done my apprenticeship ended up out of work so I done a 3 year honours degree in business and still cant get work. I'm fed up sitting around on the dole getting 90 quid a week coz I live with my partner we're not even married and they screw us out of it!

Sorry for the rant it's slightly off topic here, but it sucks. Ah well on to a better life hopefully :)

Hi I'm a plumber from Tipperary have my work permit and all Certs changed over it took my visa company 18 days to get them recognised I'm all paid and ready to go but I just can't seem to get a job offer for the Calgary area of Alberta as plumbers seem to be getting well paid there average $36 an hour,if any of you guys could tell me of any recruitment firms or plumbing companies that hire lmo's I'd appreciate it thanks *theres a better life out there * :)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭splanagan22

who was your visa company that organized all that for you?

• Advertisement

who was your visa company that organized all that for you?

Global visas a Canadian visa company,but any will do it

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭splanagan22

Daithi 81 wrote: »

cheers,,i will have a look into that so,,just have everything ready for next year,,

cheers,,i will have a look into that so,,just have everything ready for next year,,

Shop around though ya should get it a bit cheaper than me I jumped at my chance coz I lost out on a year holiday one a few days before,if ya choose to get ur papers changed urself instead of getting a package deal look up this crowd"Nairic" they globally get people's papers and Certs recognised in other countries I didn't need to use em as global visas done it,try ur best to get a job offer 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ciaran 88

Daithi 81 wrote: »
    hi what type of visa was that 1 year? how long did it take to get it?how much did it cost ?would i be better off trying to get a job from home before i go?

sorry about all the questions?

ciaran 88 wrote: »
    hi what type of visa was that 1 year? how long did it take to get it?how much did it cost ?would i be better off trying to get a job from home before i go?

sorry about all the questions?

It's a work permit they refer to it as a lmo (labour market opinion)you need to get a job offer and then a letter is sent to a Canadian board they do the labour market opinion on it which means if there's no Canadian there to fill the job they will issue u a work permit from anything up to 3yrs I think,but after 48wks u can start ur application for a resident card.The first year u are tied to one employer to choose carefully the reason I'm doing it is to stay gone from Ireland if ur just planning a yr or two a normal visa would do you grand and u can extend that for longer.fas website has jobs on it for plumbers for Alberta Canada.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Priv98

Ok, so my partner and I are planning to make the move to Alberta, Canada and I was wondering has anybody went over there to work as a plumber on an LMO.

I would like to get any advice on how best to secure a job plumbing over there before I leave Ireland and if anybody could let me know how they are finding work over there that would be great.

I was also wondering can my partner come over with me if I secure employment on the LMO scheme until she maybe gets a work permit? or will she need a work permit before she leaves Ireland?

Sorry for all the questions but i'm just at the start of my emigration plans!

Hi creativefreak

I know you posted this a while ago but I just wanted to know if you manage to get a plumbing job before you relocated to Canada. My husband is a plumber, he is also looking for a job at a company that can provide LMO/LMIA. Any tips/advice will be much appreciated.

Advertisement