Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CityLink giving the run around

Options
  • 09-05-2013 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

My girlfriend was on a CityLink bus that was involved in a crash just outside Galway city a few weeks ago. It resulted in a delay of over an hour, during which time all passengers had to give statements to Gardaí and a CityLink manager informed everyone on board that they would receive compensation for the inconvenience.

However, weeks later, she is still being fobbed-off by the company. She had originally booked a ticket for one of the late-night airport runs but, because of a change in circumstances, had to change it to an earlier bus. She rang CityLink and requested the booking to be changed and she was told it would be taken care of. The girl that was supposed to change it accidentally made the booking for an earlier bus, but this didn't matter as there was space on the later bus. Now, in spite of their own error, CityLink are persistently saying that she was on an earlier bus and that they won't offer compensation (even though she has photos of the crash on her phone!).

Has anyone here experienced such bad customer service with CityLink? The girl she has been dealing with via e-mail has been very rude.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 peble

When was that crash ..how come nobody heard of it? If I was to choose between citylink or gobus ,will be gobus ...because citylinks customer service is just terrible. I remember a time when the bus driver wanted to check my handbag if I had food ,of course I did not allow him to look inside after which he treatened me that I can not travel unless he inspected it. I wrote them to complain and until this day I have not received even aknoledgement of my letter never mind appology. Another time I had booked a ticket from the airport and when I went to the bus stop ( 15 min prior to the departure time) the bus was gone ,leaving me paying for something I did not use and then paying again to get on the next bus that was 1 hour later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

peble wrote: »
    When was that crash ..how come nobody heard of it? If I was to choose between citylink or gobus ,will be gobus ...because citylinks customer service is just terrible. I remember a time when the bus driver wanted to check my handbag if I had food ,of course I did not allow him to look inside after which he treatened me that I can not travel unless he inspected it. I wrote them to complain and until this day I have not received even aknoledgement of my letter never mind appology. Another time I had booked a ticket from the airport and when I went to the bus stop ( 15 min prior to the departure time) the bus was gone ,leaving me paying for something I did not use and then paying again to get on the next bus that was 1 hour later.
    Most bus operators have in their conditions of carriage that alcoholic beverages and hot food and drinks are forbidden and that passengers must if requested allow bags to be examined by staff.

http://www.citylink.ie/index.php/conditions
    ON BOARD COMFORT

In the interest of all passengers the following "comfort" rules will apply:

39. Noise. The playing on coaches and in coach stations of radios, cassette or CD players, personal stereos, musical instruments is not permitted. However, provided that the driver of a coach is satisfied that the sound of a personal stereo does not cause offence or inconvenience either to himself or to the other passengers, he may allow an exception to this requirement. A coach is a confined area and passengers should only use mobile phones where essential.

40. Alcoholic drinks. Passengers are not permitted to take alcoholic drinks onto coaches for the purpose of consuming them on board, nor to drink such drinks on the coach or to remain on the coach when in the opinion of the driver they are under the influence of alcoholic drink.

41. No Smoking policy. Passengers are not permitted to smoke in any vehicle operated by the Company and all coach stations. The Company is entitled to request offending passengers to remove themselves from the coach or coach station if they do not comply with a request to desist from smoking.

42. Drug and Solvent abuse. Passengers are not permitted to board or remain on board any of the Company’s services whilst under the influence of drugs and/or solvents.

43. Special Needs. Certain seats may occasionally be reserved for disabled travelers etc. Passengers should always comply with any requests from staff to make such seats available. Any special requirements should be made at least 48 hours in advance of travelling.

44. Food & Beverages. Passengers are not allowed to take onto our coaches any hot food or beverages eg. chips, take-away meals, coffee, tea etc. We are entitled to refuse access to any passenger with hot food or beverages.

45. The Company reserves the right to refuse entry or to remove from the Company's vehicles any passenger who shall be or, in the opinion of the driver or other Company official, appears to be in breach of any of these comfort rules. Any passenger so refused or removed shall not be entitled to any refund or compensation whatsoever from the Company and the Company shall have no liability to the passenger whatsoever.

49. The Company reserves the right to refuse trunks or other bulky articles, or articles of an objectionable or dangerous nature or which have sharp or protruding edges which may tear or damage other luggage with which it is packed within the coach. The Company is also entitled to request any passenger to open any article of luggage for inspection by the driver or other authorised employee of the Company in the presence of the passenger if, for reasons of security, the Company considers it necessary to do so. Subject to availability of accommodation and payment of the appropriate charge, bicycles and skis/surfboards will be carried provided they are packed in such a way as to prevent damage to other luggage. Fragile items such as electronic goods, portable televisions, radios etc. will only be carried if they are of reasonable size and securely packed. The Company will not be responsible for damage to such items howsoever caused.

To ask someone to open their handbag that is the size of my wallet is ridicolous especially that this was ~1am departure and I can barelly open my eyes. Well all I can say they lost a good customer ...I calculated that they got ~1500 for one year from me. So better learn about customer service because they will loose customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Who keeps "hot food or beverages eg. chips, take-away meals, coffee, tea etc." in their handbag? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Most bus operators have in their conditions of carriage that alcoholic beverages and hot food and drinks are forbidden and that passengers must if requested allow bags to be examined by staff.

http://www.citylink.ie/index.php/conditions

So hot food is a security risk then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

n97 mini wrote: »
    Who keeps "hot food or beverages eg. chips, take-away meals, coffee, tea etc." in their handbag? :confused:

Believe it or not, I've seen them attempt to get into my taxi over the years trying stunts like that. A lot of people are firmly convinced that the concept of no food or drink on public transport are statement of service levels and not conditions of carriage that apply to them. I could give you a few first hand examples if you like :)

The train has a few advantages, food and drink being one, guaranteed toilets the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭currins_02

As a coach driver for almost 16 years all I can say, you'd be surprised. Same type of people who keep 2 McDonald's burgers inside their infants babygro - I kid you not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

LeftBlank wrote: »
    So hot food is a security risk then?

it's not about security, it's about the comfort of other passengers, both in the sense of not having to sit there smelling someone else's dinner and also not finding your seat covered in chip wrappers and ketchup.

corktina wrote: »
    it's not about security, it's about the comfort of other passengers, both in the sense of not having to sit there smelling someone else's dinner and also not finding your seat covered in chip wrappers and ketchup.

I totally agree ,I hate to go on the bus and smell any food cause the journey is already a long trip. But someone to try to look in my handbag ....and basically acusing me of carrying food in my handbag is just ridiculous. Next thing they would want to check my pockets too. One thing is for sure, I won't be taking citylink again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Richard Logue

peble wrote: »
    I totally agree ,I hate to go on the bus and smell any food cause the journey is already a long trip. But someone to try to look in my handbag ....and basically acusing me of carrying food in my handbag is just ridiculous. Next thing they would want to check my pockets too. One thing is for sure, I won't be taking citylink again.

There is an option if you are going to and from Galway to Dublin...

Rail or BE - and at least you can either bring your own food and drink on the train or buy on board.

currins_02 wrote: »
    As a coach driver for almost 16 years all I can say, you'd be surprised. Same type of people who keep 2 McDonald's burgers inside their infants babygro - I kid you not!

Honestly, the lengths people will go to when they're hungry and need to eat. The cheek of them!

corktina wrote: »

I think that would be your interpretation, but the terms clearly state it's for security reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

Always nice to get on a 22k in Heuston that smells like Supermacs curry cheese chips:P. I remember the days when the only aromas on the early morning MK3s were the smell of freshly fried sausages and rashers from the buffet car.

It's common sense and courtesy not to allow hot food on intercity buses, after all it's a three hour journey not a 30min kebab smelling jaunt on the Nitelink! I always bring a cold salad or sandwich with a flask of tea onto the bus, the choice from Rail Gourmet isn't much better these days anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The train has a few advantages, food and drink being one, guaranteed toilets the other.

Don't forget the p1ss-heads running amok on their way to some stag/hen do down the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Honestly, the lengths people will go to when they're hungry and need to eat. The cheek of them!

A Citylink journey from Galway to Dublin takes about 3 hours.

If you take this out of a 24 hour day and allow 8 hours for sleep you are left with 13 hours in the day to eat away to your heart's content.

If after all this time you are still hungry, try bringing a sandwich, a mixed salad or something that doesn't stink onto the bus.

There are few people more inconsiderate than those who hog away on burgers, kebabs etc in a confined space causing fellow passengers to put up with the disgusting odours created.

I'd rather sit on a bus full of people smoking than be next to someone pigging out on a Big Mac because they couldn't be arsed stuffing their faces before getting the bus.

Are none of these coaches air-conditioned?

They are air conditioned ...actually sometimes the AC is so high that you think you are travelling with a sleith.

Advertisement