Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating the leaving cert

Options
  • 09-05-2013 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I was just wondering how its possible to teach a 2 year course in 1 year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

yes, what do you think the grind schools do every year?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Shauna30895

I didn't ask if it was, I asked how it was possible.

spoon feed students notes, don't do practicals just go through the theory, read through lots of the material in class or do it lecture style, assume the students go home and learn it. You can get through a mountain of material if you assume the students go home and learn it all every night.

Very useful material right there.

not how i teach though, i want to know my students understand it and are not just sitting there passively.

• Advertisement

That's nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

That's nice

Your sarcasm is lovely too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 P_mcgrath

Hi Shauna,
    I teach in a private school and we cover several subjects in one year. How we do it depends on the subject. Also, a key factor is to carefully choose the subject and make sure it suits your aptitudes and interests.
    We teach Chemistry in one year, and our students sit into the 5th year classes as well as the 6th year ones so they get to go back over the basics of stochiometry etc..
    Biology, Geography, Ag Science, Ag Economics, Accounting, Business, Home Economics, Economics are all very do-able in a year. We actually actually one hour per week extra teaching time to Geog as it's a long course. We do all the practicals too - why would you skip them when they are a huge part of the course and exam??
    We do it in one year because we have uninterrupted teaching time, no holy days off etc.., our teachers have an extremely low absenteeism rate, fieldwork is done at the weekend so no classes are missed, and we all work hard - students and teachers.
    Carefully prepared notes are important but giving lots of exam questions for homework and correcting according to marking scheme is also a huge part of our job.
    Hope that helps!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

That's nice
    Considering you are responding to a teacher who has been more than helpful to the users of this forum over a number of years, including ensuring people here to whom she has no responsibility understand the material, please leave out the sarcasm.

Would you care to enlighten us as to the reason for your question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Personally I wouldnt touch biology as a subject to do in a year. Im doing it for the three years and I have a brilliant memory ( I can learn off sheets and solutions no problem) and I find biology hard. Business, Geography and Economics can be done in a year working hard on them. Especially economics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Its very much possible , i am repeating the leaving this year and took up economics in the year, we managed fine! You just can't spend as long as a fifth year teacher might , honestly economics is nearly being dragged out as a two year course, not a big course. Some subjects need two years though , biology! i personally think home ec is a bigger course than people make it out to be and it would need two years but thats just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Do you reckon it's possible to do both ag. Science and economics in 1 year, on top of 5 other subjects

Well as of last week I have a fractured wrist and I'm in a cast for 6 weeks :(
    I have the chance to repeat my leaving next year -which I'm going to do- and I'm just wondering how the subjects are taught. I'd don't like the thoughts of having a scribe or being recorded and I'd find it very difficult to type out all my exams after 6 years of written exams.

And thanks everyone for your replies - great help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Do you reckon it's possible to do both ag. Science and economics in 1 year, on top of 5 other subjects

yes! i think so :)

Advertisement