Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I stay or go?

Options
  • 09-05-2013 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

I'm on holidays this week, free accommodation, 25 degrees C. I'm due to fly back on Sunday. I have been planning on resigning from my job at the end of the month, but I think I might just stay on holidays and tell them to shove their job up their collective arse. Should I stay on holidays or fly back on Sunday?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

de ne ne ne ne ne ne ne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Send your resignation on a postcard. One of those classy ones with a naked woman on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

nadia88 wrote: »
    I'm on holidays this week, free accommodation, 25 degrees C. I'm due to fly back on Sunday. I have been planning on resigning from my job at the end of the month, but I think I might just stay on holidays and tell them to shove their job up their collective arse. Should I stay on holidays or fly back on Sunday?

Will they keep paying you?

Can you afford to stay on?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Don't resign. Just never contact them again, ever, in any capacity. They might keep paying your salary for a few months before they decide you've died or gone AWOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i think if you go there will be trouble, but if you stay it will be double

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Use up your sick days first and quit when you get back.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

I think everyone gets that "I might just stay here" mood towards they end of a great holiday.

I know I get it lots of places I go. I've moved to Sweden, Paris, South Africa, Botswana and Berlin multiple times in my head by now.

Consider it the mark of a great trip.

corktina wrote: »
    i think if you go there will be trouble, but if you stay it will be double

ah come on and let me know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 nadia88

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Will they keep paying you?

Can you afford to stay on?

They'll pay me up until Monday anyway. And I can afford to stay on.

Zillah wrote: »
    Don't resign. Just never contact them again, ever, in any capacity. They might keep paying your salary for a few months before they decide you've died or gone AWOL.

Nah, it's too small a company for them not to realise, although some people who work there are f'ing thick. I expect more **** than usual is hitting the fan while I'm away so they definitely know I'm gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

ffs thought this was gonna be about levi's

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

hopefully you wont clash with your manager....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Do you know which clothes even fit you?

Marsden wrote: »
    Use up your sick days first and quit when you get back.:)

The company doesn't give sick pay.

I think everyone gets that "I might just stay here" mood towards they end of a great holiday.

I know I get it lots of places I go. I've moved to Sweden, Paris, South Africa, Botswana and Berlin multiple times in my head by now.

Consider it the mark of a great trip.

It's not that great a holiday tbh, the place I work is a joke though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Nah, it's too small a company for them not to realise, although some people who work there are f'ing thick. I expect more **** than usual is hitting the fan while I'm away so they definitely know I'm gone.

Alex Ferguson, is that you?

It's not that great a holiday tbh, the place I work is a joke though.

clown college?

IM0 wrote: »
    clown college?

lunatic asylum

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Get your bags packed, ready to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

lunatic asylum

Dail Eireann ?

We need more info. , I'm off work today so I should be able to offer lots of adv.... ohh look a cloud shaped like a duck.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Tell them you got a much better job offer on the off chance they offer you enough money

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

they will probably replace you with some sucker from the jobsbridge slave ship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

The only way to solve this problem is have a long chat with Mr Jack Daniels, he'll know what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭SeanW

Go back, serve your notice and get a reference. Your career will thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Have they given you a reference already? They might not be too happy if you jump ship early.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

You can afford to stay on for? A week? A month?

If you really can afford to stay long term...feck it, do it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Not sure how big an issue this would be, but when you apply for another job in future and mention this one as experience, if you burn them now there could be a bit of nastiness if your next interviewer calls them looking for references or recommendations. Best to try and end it on good terms for that reason, I always find that if you end things messily with any relationship in life, it comes back to haunt you when you find you need their good will when you least expect it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Tell them you got a much better job offer on the off chance they offer you enough money

I'd consider that tbh, but then again, pay isn't everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

The ice age is coming, the sun's zooming in
    Meltdown expected, the wheat is growing thin

Might as well stay where you are

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

This sounds like a boom time thread!

Stay sure, when you come back you'll pick up a job straight away what with all the vaccancies these days.

They haven't given me a reference, I'm going to work for myself rather than the current shower. Just been reading some industry news website there and there has been a major bit of news yesterday that will significantly increase costs, and bearing in mind that the company I work for is already struggling to cope with the market conditions I really am tempted to just stay on holidays until the end of the month. I have **** all work to do when I get back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

SeanW wrote: »
    Go back, serve your notice and get a reference. Your career will thank you.

Worst Advice EVER!!!!

Stay and enjoy life.

Advertisement