Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apply directly to companies

• 09-05-2013 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have 15 years experience as an IT professional (half contract, half permanent roles). I'm going to try contacting companies directly, but would like to know where I could get a list of software companies in the greater Dublin area.
    I have used a recruitment agency recently and got to the latter stages. I flew the technical interview and also fit the interview with the directors went very well in terms of what motivates me, my attitude to work etc. However, agency came back to me and the excuse was something like, they felt I lacked energy. I have my suspicions about this, this sounds like an excuse to camouflage the real reason. At the interview, they quizzed a lot about the potential of me getting bored as they are a little behind the curve in terms of technology.
    Anyway, long story short, I want to try the IT contracting route again and cut the agency out of the loop and send my CV directly.
    Do people think this is a feasible way of getting a job and if so what is the best way to go about it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

When it comes to contracting the larger companies often only deal with agencies. Yes this is really stupid and annoying...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

I can understand your suspicion of Recruitment agencies but it's difficult to cut them out completely. But personally speaking, I'd have to say any interview I managed to get during my last job search (which lasted several months) came about by my direct approach or by applying direct to company adverts, where no agency was involved. Recruit. Agencies were of no use to me.....but then again everyone's situation is different, and some sectors/skillsets are in big demand with Recruit. Agencies right now.
    If you're using any of the main job websites (Irish jobs, Recruit Ireland, etc.) most of these allow you to filter job adverts by Company ad or Agency ad, so you can eliminate the Agencies from your search if you wish.

IDA Ireland may have a list of companies in your area/sector; it might be worth checking their website or requesting that info. from them, and you could then contact the relevant companies directly.
    Good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

CPL are used a lot where I work. Especially for IT roles.

http://www.cpl.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭jos_kel

Thanks for the reply but was only interested in how I could apply directly to companies and cut the agencies out of the loop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

jos_kel wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply but was only interested in how I could apply directly to companies and cut the agencies out of the loop.
    Depends on the company. Some use companies such as CPL to get the training/recruitment/wages/etc done cheaply. TBH, most places that require you go through an agency are generally bottom rung 1st level stuff, but they can also control 2nd and 3rd level as well.

TBH, with 15 years under your belt, I'd be surprised that you haven't made some contacts. If you don't use linkedin, you should get on it, as I've heard of people getting offered jobs through it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It is pretty difficult to get a contract without an agency. The only way I have heard of it being done is after somebody already was in the company before. Even at that I know people who were then made go through an agent anyway.

I was told by a few HR people they will only go through recruitment agencies for contractors for some legal reason. They didn't elaborate but they had the policy for what ever reason.

Then the people I know who did get contracts direct they didn't get paid any more as a result.

Essentially there doesn't seem to be any advantage to not using an agent. There are one or two websites for getting contractors directly which might be your best option. I suspect they are plagued with agencies anyway given the hunting done on LinkedIn.

If you are hunting companies yourself I would use LinkedIn and check your own network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭dazberry

I'm doing the same thing at the moment, via contacts firstly, secondly a bit of on spec. applications (which seldom work but have had success in the past) and finally via agencies.

What I'm currently finding with agencies is that there isn't all that many jobs and all the agencies are overlapping, it looks likes there's a lot going but not so. Also finding them pretty inconsistent and generally non-responsive.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

jos_kel wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have 15 years experience as an IT professional (half contract, half permanent roles). I'm going to try contacting companies directly, but would like to know where I could get a list of software companies in the greater Dublin area.
    I have used a recruitment agency recently and got to the latter stages. I flew the technical interview and also fit the interview with the directors went very well in terms of what motivates me, my attitude to work etc. However, agency came back to me and the excuse was something like, they felt I lacked energy. I have my suspicions about this, this sounds like an excuse to camouflage the real reason. At the interview, they quizzed a lot about the potential of me getting bored as they are a little behind the curve in terms of technology.
    Anyway, long story short, I want to try the IT contracting route again and cut the agency out of the loop and send my CV directly.
    Do people think this is a feasible way of getting a job and if so what is the best way to go about it?

In terms of approaching companies directly, can I suggest you identify potential employers on a one by one basis, do some research on the company and write a brand new cover letter for each one. I know it will take a bit longer, but if you do get a list of all IT companies in the Dublin area, you will be tempted to use the shotgun approach and send the same cover letter to all, which HR/Talent acquisition people can spot a mile off.

Can I suggest you start with Workday as they are expanding at an incredible rate at the moment.

Other companies you can try in no particular order:

Facebook
    Google
    Yahoo,
    Amazon,
    Espion(also growing quite quickly)
    Symantec
    Microsoft
    EMC
    SAP
    McAfee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

heard on the radio earlier that Groupon are looking for 20 new people - mainly IT

Advertisement