Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rents Unit have given me 3 months before I'm made homeless

Options
  • 09-05-2013 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm currently unemployed and on rent allowance. I am actively seeking work (and can prove it) and have done 2 fas courses and one springboard course but still haven't been able to get a job.

When I signed up to RA after loosing my job the max rent for my area was €525 (for a single person living alone). I had been paying €600 while I was working so my landlord very kindly reduced my rent for me until I could get back on my feet.

I got a call from the Rents Unit today saying that the €525 maximum amount was reduced in the last budget to €440 and that I've to get my landlord to reduce the rent again to €440 or else 'find alternative accommodation.' They gave me 3 months to get it sorted or my rent will be cut straight away.

I spoke to my landlord and she's refused to lower the rent any further and said to be honest she was hoping to raise it again soon. I looked up alternative accommodation and there is nothing near me for less that €650 (and that is a studio apartment without it's own bathroom). I can't go sharing as I have a cat and dog (and giving them up is not an option). I don't live in an expensive area, in fact I'm currently living in the middle of a very rough council area, its just that rents aren't available for what they're asking. I don't know what to do, reducing rent or moving don't seem to be an option.

Can anyone help? My landlord says if I can't afford the rent if my RA gets stopped she'll have to give me official notice. I've no where to go, I will actually be on the street and I'm really really scared. More so that I've ever been in my life. Please, if anyone can offer me advice I'd appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I think you are in Wicklow because this webpage has the rent limits and only Wicklow has a limit of 440 for a single person living alone.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

On daft.ie there are 9 houses to let in Wicklow with a maximum rent of €440. Here's a link to the search I did: http://url.ie/he5t/p

If none of those are any good for ya, I'd say it'd be a good idea to go into your CWO and explain your situation to them. Maybe they offer alternative or special arrangements for people who live in your area. No harm to see what they say anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Rents unit aren't going to make you homeless they just wont subsidise your rent as much as before.Like the vast majority of people you have to work on a budget ,If you cant afford to rent your current house you got to look at alternatives.If you end up homeless its not the Rents unit fault.3 months is plenty of time to get sorted.
    Cant see a CWO helping you out either.Give us a better idea of where you rent and im sure there are plenty of alternatives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Also be aware OP, that rent supplement limits are currently being reviewed with new limits due in force July.

Advertisement