Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access database

Options
  • 09-05-2013 12:18pm

Can anyone point me in the right direction for setting up an access database for a small accounting firm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Probably would be better if you described what you want to achieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Access wouldn't be your best db wise, brenbrady. They are other options out there that are easy to use and more robust. As Chrome said, if you describe what you want to build, I'm sure we can point you in the right direction.

If you are determined to use Access, what version are you on?

COYW wrote: »
    Access wouldn't be your best db wise, brenbrady. They are other options out there that are easy to use and more robust. As Chrome said, if you describe what you want to build, I'm sure we can point you in the right direction.

If you are determined to use Access, what version are you on?

Thanks for the reply. Access is not a prerequisite I only named it because it was familiar and most people would have used Access at some stage.
    The database will be used for managing tax and filing deadlines. For example, a limited company will have an annual return date with the CRO in addition to having a separate deadline with revenue. The company will also have directors and shareholders who will have their own tax filing deadlines. I'd like to set up a database that will manage these deadlines in addition to containing basic client info i.e. name, address, pps numbers, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

Sounds like there should be off the shelf solutions that would suit your requirements.

SalteeDog wrote: »
    Sounds like there should be off the shelf solutions that would suit your requirements.

I'd have to agree with you. brenbrady, the database is only part of your project, you will a front end, i.e a web or desktop application to interact with the database, so as SalteeDog says, an off the shelf product might be the best option in the long term.

• Advertisement

I'd have to agree with you. brenbrady, the database is only part of your project, you will a front end, i.e a web or desktop application to interact with the database, so as SalteeDog says, an off the shelf product might be the best option in the long term.

There are off the shelf products available but the problem is that they come with so many bells and whistles including time & billing, email integration, job completion, job tracking and planning when all I want is a system that lists all the clients and what the deadlines are.

brenbrady wrote: »
    There are off the shelf products available but the problem is that they come with so many bells and whistles including time & billing, email integration, job completion, job tracking and planning when all I want is a system that lists all the clients and what the deadlines are.

Ok so, you should start by reading this, as you will need to design your database before you do anything :

Database basics

You will need to normalize your database, as failing to do could result in performance issues in the future, depending on how big it gets.

normalization

Ok so, you should start by reading this, as you will need to design your database before you do anything :

Database basics

You will need to normalize your database, as failing to do could result in performance issues in the future, depending on how big it gets.

normalization

Thanks, ideally I would like someone to develop this for me. One thing which would would would be ms outlook contacts with added fields so I could add directors details and additional reminders.

Thanks, ideally I would like someone to develop this for me. One thing which would would would be ms outlook contacts with added fields so I could add directors details and additional reminders.

Can you expand on this a bit? What are you looking to do with Outlook? What version of Outlook are you on? Working with the Outlook interop can be messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Can you expand on this a bit? What are you looking to do with Outlook? What version of Outlook are you on? Working with the Outlook interop can be messy.

Scope creep in 5 posts! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I think they mean they could extend outlook? ... it's possible, there are a lot of development options available in outlook - or there was anyway - and all the basics that the OP require exists in outlook already - contacts & calendars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The problem with IT projects small or large is managing realistic objectives within budget. Where budget is money, time and resources (people). otherwise 2 or 5 min job turn into a months work.

You need to do a spreadsheet of the functionality, features you want, the benefits of the item against the cost of achieving it. Also some datum that tells you when that item has been completed. The importance of the feature, as in critical need to have, nice to have, future needs.

Then see if anything out there already does any of this. There's no point re-inventing the wheel, if someone else has already done it, and you can benefit from their experience and knowledge.

Maybe you should do a advanced access/excel course to start with, rather than leaping head first at the deep end hoping you'll pick up swimming as you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

Maybe a simple spreadsheet will do what you want.

Actually - you should look at Google Drive Spreadsheet. You can import contacts and also set up reminder scripts linked to the calendar and you can share the whole thing with others if you so wish.

The gotcha is it's Google so it's cloud based. Depending on your business, Data security considerations may outweigh the benefit of convenience.

Advertisement