Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

property tax and the disabled

Options
  • 09-05-2013 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭

Bought my house during tiger years 2004, small cottage that nobody wanted €70,000. spent €30,000 adapting it for accessability, reckon its now valued at 90. Then I heard money spent adapting a house for person with disability could reduce overall value
    Just received lpt booklet and surprise I was right I will be exempt, then I read further I will be exempt if following applies
    adapted the house + "have received an award from personal assessment board or a court or who is a beneficary under a trust established for the purpose"

wtf is that about, so vague, would love to find an error to take a case. If anyone has ideas please comment or pm me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I don't see the vagueness ..... you must pay unless you have either

been awarded a sum of money (by court or personal assessment board)

or

have a trust set up for your benefit

AND

have had the home adapted for your purposes

That is as I read what you have posted ..... but of course I might well be wrong ...... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

so if i get an award from a court for anything or my sister sets up a trust for me I can claim an exemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Big C wrote: »
    so if i get an award from a court for anything or my sister sets up a trust for me I can claim an exemption.

I don't know the details of the rules governing those so will not comment ....... but if you have adapted the house, and have received an award from a court then I suggest you investigate the possibility of an exemption.

Advertisement