Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is there no means to recall a government?

Options
  • 09-05-2013 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭

Why is there no means for the public to recall a government mid term if they're unhappy with it?

Surely it should be possible to start a petition to the president to get him/her to recall & dissolve the current government if the public are dis-satisfied.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

OU812 wrote: »
    Why is there no means for the public to recall a government mid term if they're unhappy with it?

Surely it should be possible to start a petition to the president to get him/her to recall & dissolve the current government if the public are dis-satisfied.

Knee jerk emotive nonesense would have the population at the polls 3 times a year if there was a mechanism to force a new election,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭OU812

There should be a way to recall them at least once in their term though.

If the level was set at 250,000 signatures, the president would have to intervene & politics could be truly dictated by the people.

The government would be answerable & in danger of losing their power, which *should* make them be more careful in their planning.

After all, if you make a mistake in work, you get into trouble, why shouldn't it be any different for politicians?

There should be a way to recall them at least once in their term though.

If the level was set at 250,000 signatures, the president would have to intervene & politics could be truly dictated by the people.

The government would be answerable & in danger of losing their power, which *should* make them be more careful in their planning.

After all, if you make a mistake in work, you get into trouble, why shouldn't it be any different for politicians?

The option to show ire is every 5 years, to reduce it doesnt give the TDs enough time to make the changes and see results, the TDs can force government change at any time, maybe changing the way TDs do their job is a better option, getting rid of the whip for example

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭OU812

Well bring it down to an individual TD level then.

Make them fight for their seat to improve their performance.

Well bring it down to an individual TD level then.

Make them fight for their seat to improve their performance.

Thats what the election is? Either way, the population are for the most part gullible and easily fooled,

In truth, a dictator would have better chance of change than the current system, look at the yokes we have running the government

Kenny, varadker,gilmore,bruton....shams the lot of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Thats what the election is? Either way, the population are for the most part gullible and easily fooled,

In truth, a dictator would have better chance of change than the current system, look at the yokes we have running the government

Kenny, varadker,gilmore,bruton....shams the lot of them

It's to prevent short term thinking. Unpopular decisions take time to effect and the public is very fickle. I finely think we are in a better position now since the change of government so I can't fathom your comment unless you simply object to any negative policies.

It's to prevent short term thinking. Unpopular decisions take time to effect and the public is very fickle. I finely think we are in a better position now since the change of government so I can't fathom your comment unless you simply object to any negative policies.

what finely thinking made my point unfathomable with regard to the calibre of the politicians listed?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Cathyht wrote: »
    The Fine Gael and Labour fascist type coupling...
    I stopped reading here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Knee jerk emotive nonesense would have the population at the polls 3 times a year if there was a mechanism to force a new election,

And it would have stopped FF / Greens long before they had a chance to nationalize any banks.

This is absolutely 100% necessary to democratic accountability. Knowing they don't have to face the electorate for five years is what allows politicians to tear up their election manifesto the minute they get their foot in the door of Leinster House, in other words it's almost entirely responsible for the fact that democracy is such an unbelievable farce.

There's just as much cronyism as ever. Personally I'd have voted to turf Enda out the minute he breached an agreed salary cap to give an old friend a pay rise. This kind of bollocks has to stop, and unless the people have a way to force it to stop it never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

the key is to not vote for such a party a second time, or until they have massively improved. Considering FFs rise recently, the general public still havent copped on yet to that point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Cathyht

Shatter is doing FG no favours.
    We really are between a (c)rock and a hard place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭opiniated

The public is fickle?

"Cheapest bailout in history"

"We have turned the corner"

"Not another red cent"

"Sure isn't that what you say during an election!"

I could go on, but I'm sure you get the gist of what I'm trying to say.

If the public are fickle (your words, not mine!) - what does that make the politicians?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Cathyht

Sure we're told what they want us to know. The 'feel good' factor and public spending was purposely kept down from 2006, which certainly aided the recession, every news bulletin filled us with dread. Now after all the gloom and doom, I will be sick if I hear the spin doctors any more bombarding us with the subliminal messages of: Green shoots, turned the corner, out of recession. They must think we are like puppets on a string, jump this way, now jump that.

Money is still being squandered, certain families, certain groups are sure of good jobs, positions on boards. The inner sanctum, benefit with or without recession, through nepotism. The masses suffer emigration, social problems, and increasingly people unfortunately choosing to end their life, end the hopeless struggle to survive increased taxes, finances ruined with the property crash.

We are only changing a few names when we re-elect, we aren't changing the bureaucratic processes that perpetuate the current system. Power does something to people, or perhaps the depraved craving for power and wealth in is the people who reach the Dail. Either way, there is no accountability, as seen by the so called Justice Minister's debacle a few months ago. The fact this government still allows huge payments to be made to Bank Directors responsible for the crash, shows there is no interest in integrity or Irish sovereignty.

Enda Kenny is one of the highest paid Government leaders in Europe, over 200k euros a year (just the start, before expenses, perks and deals) he is guilty of nepotism of the highest order, he will not and has not entered televised live debate - because he cannot debate. It's a very expensive joke really, but where can the Irish people turn for decent Irish leadership. Despite our trust, trying this one's promises then the other, decency and integrity have not yet been found within the corrupt walls of Dail Eireann, they are all lining their pockets.

Advertisement