Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai probe alleged 'theft' of free papers by FG TD's aide

Options
  • 09-05-2013 9:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭

Oh dear.

Poor Tommy, what was he thinking?:eek:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gardai-probe-alleged-theft-of-free-papers-by-fg-tds-aide-29253144.html
    GARDAI have launched an investigation into allegations of theft after a parliamentary assistant to Fine Gael TD Derek Keating was caught taking and dumping free newspapers.

In an apparent attempt to bury bad news, Mr Keating's assistant, Tommy Morris, was last week caught on CCTV taking bundles of the 'Lucan Gazette' from a local shop.

In a statement yesterday, publisher Dublin Gazette Newspapers said it had obtained CCTV footage from last Thursday and Friday from a number of different stores.

The paper's distribution staff believe that a significant number of copies were taken from shops across Lucan.

."Local residents, advertisers and distributors of the paper are angry at the actions," a statement said.

The free newspaper contained an embarrassing front-page story about a row between Mr Keating and a local principal over a school extension.

The Dublin Mid-West TD was strongly criticised by principal Tomas O Dulaing after he claimed he had "initiated and delivered" the extension at the Griffeen Valley Educate Together school.

Gardai confirmed that an investigation was under way into the alleged theft of newspapers from a number of shops in the Lucan area over the past week.

However, legal sources told the Irish Independent that it was highly unlikely that Mr Morris had committed any crime because the newspapers were being given away for free.

Mr Keating had said he was "shocked" and "disappointed" after he had found out what his adviser had done."Tommy was upset when he saw the article and must have had a rush of blood to the head. We don't believe the article was fair at all to me," he said.

This publication is a free sheet so there is no question of Tommy breaking the law," he added.

Gazette managing director Michael McGovernsaid: "The Gazette is a group of eight papers with a weekly print-run of over 40,000. We employ 22 people as well as freelance and agency workers."That someone would attempt to jeopardise their livelihoods in these times is particularly shocking."

I'm sure the people who placed paid for advertisements in the paper will be reimbursed by Tommy, or the TD. (Let's hope)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

hilarious stuff altogether. eejit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Derek should have called over to the other side of the House and had a word in the ear of Aengus Ó Snodaigh. Could have assisted him in printing a newspaper filled with good news stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

The Lucan Gazette should just reprint the story and add "Just in case you missed it..."

I'd be intrigued in reading what the article said now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I call Bullsh!t on the TD not knowing anything about his actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,325 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Remmy wrote: »

I think thats a given tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Sergeant wrote: »
    Derek should have called over to the other side of the House and had a word in the ear of Aengus Ó Snodaigh. Could have assisted him in printing a newspaper filled with good news stories.

He should have.

He didn't though. He took them from shops/petrol stations instead.

Also this.
    Of those audited, Fine Gael TD Derek Keating returned the most after it was found that €7,571 worth of his claims were ineligible.The report showed that he had claimed €13,420 correctly.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politicians-hand-back-16000-after-random-expenses-audit-28950617.html

Didn't see Aengus Ó Snodaigh's name in that article though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

And the readership of the Lucan Gazette has now quadrupled.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Remmy wrote: »

Yep, they usually get their lackies to take blame/carry out their dirty work.

I know of one former TD who rang up a constituent while he (the TD) was hammered boasting about fixing a problem for him.

Next day his sidekick was on the phone apologising that saying that he'd given the TD the wrong info, all his fault, and the TD had been genuinely mistaken.

Can't say if the original call was made from the Dáil bar though.

Caliden wrote: »
    The Lucan Gazette should just reprint the story and add "Just in case you missed it..."

Next issue will have the whole episode as its headline now, including the story about the school.

Double the bad publicity he needed tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

SamHall wrote: »
    Next issue will have three while episode as its headline now, including the story about the school.

Double the bad publicity he needed tbh.

Pretty much this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Terry1985

He had to hand back €7571 in expenses last December after a random audit found bogus claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

TD's have been claiming responsibility for every positive thing that happens in their constituency since since constituencies were invented. We all know it. the tiff between the school and the TD would have faded into non-news quite quickly till poor oul Tommy got involved.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Irish Times has pictures of the muppet in action. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Caliden wrote: »

Story available in online edition:

Principal Blasts Keating Leaflet/
    Residents in Lucan South last week received a leaflet from Fine Gael TD Derek Keating that outlined what he has “delivered” for the people of Lucan. Amongst the list was news of a school expansion at Griffeen Valley Educate Together – an inclusion that has angered that school’s principal, Tomas O’Dulaing.

In an open letter to Deputy Keating, O’Dulaing said that he had not assisted in the expansion plans whatsoever. "You never once contacted our school, Griffeen Valley, in relation to our forthcoming school extension,” says O’Dulaing’s letter. “Neither did anybody from our board of management or staff contact you or seek your assistance in relation to the extension. You had absolutely nothing to do with this development, and yet you distribute a leaflet in the Lucan area claiming to have ‘initiated, led and delivered’ this extension.

Scarlet for them :o

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Slimeball

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Not the first gombeen action by Morris, when a hotel/ bar had newly opened in Leixlip he falsely claimed he had been served drink outside in order to endanger their license. No links, source is another local paper published at the time.

Can't see anything about this on RTE:confused:

Lots of the other mainstream media sources are reporting it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

SamHall wrote: »
    Can't see anything about this on RTE:confused:

Lots of the other mainstream media sources are reporting it though.
    Pat Kenny covered it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Not the first gombeen action by Morris, when a hotel/ bar had newly opened in Leixlip he falsely claimed he had been served drink outside in order to endanger their license. No links, source is another local paper published at the time.

Why did he want to endanger the licence? Had he an interest in a rival premises? Pretty petty form if he did that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

LittleBook wrote: »

LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Why did he want to endanger the licence? Had he an interest in a rival premises? Pretty petty form if he did that

The articles didn't mention a reason I don't think, but there were rivals right across the road so a link was suspected. Looks like it didn't make it past the not-online liffey champion, so no links, unlike this latest incident.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

What a clown. Irony being of course that it has resulted in vastly more adverse publicity than the original piece would have generated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I love it when dumbos try a bit of cute hoor politics and it goes pear shaped for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

LittleBook wrote: »

O'Dulaing should also mention that he,(O'Dulaing), is a member of the United Left Alliance. This might explain the "open" letter. Opportunism on both their parts, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Roger_007 wrote: »
    O'Dulaing should also mention that he,(O'Dulaing), is a member of the United Left Alliance. This might explain the "open" letter. Opportunism on both their parts, I think.

Hardly opportunism exposing a TD for lying. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

So he is. It just gets better and better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

real FG behaviour

• Site Banned Posts: 124 ✭✭The Queen of England

I went to Coppers once & got probed by a Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I went to Coppers once & got probed by a Garda.
    Do you mean groped by a Garda?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 124 ✭✭The Queen of England

Do you mean groped by a Garda?

That too.

Advertisement