Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching Course

Options
  • 09-05-2013 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi folks,

I am currently in first year of Applied Social Studies (higher certificate) in AIT and I want to transfer to General Nursing (preferably AIT). What I am wondering is, what financial penalties would I incur if I transferred? Would I have to pay for four years of tuition fees? or would I only have to pay tuition for the first year?

I am currently on BTEA and received a full fees grant for this year.
    I have put in a lot of research into this and still I am coming up short as AIT themselves do not have a fees FAQ or any internal transfer procedure.

This whole situation has arisen as a result of an unfortunate mix-up with my FETAC results I was unable to enter Nursing this year. I didn't meet one module requirement and have since appealed it and was successful. Said appeal didn't go through until September and I didn't receive the result of it until late October. The appeal was far too late to actually matter in the 2012/2013 CAO rounds.

At this stage I wasn't confident in my appeal and took one of my second choices which was Applied Social Studies in AIT. Whilst I enjoy the course I still feel that I want to go down the nursing route. Now that I can go for Nursing I wish to do so, but I am afraid of the financial penalties that would incur if I transferred.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

As far as I'm aware you only have to pay one year of fee's although I'm sure others can give you more information than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You need to check with social welfare if they will allow you to stay on BTEA

Generally in cases like this for year 1 of a new course you will have to pay full fees and will not be eligible for a grant. From year 2 onwards you are then eligible for both based on the rules of both.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement