Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IFHF survey

Options
  • 08-05-2013 9:23pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The IFHF just sent me a survey asking for feedback. I may have been expansive in my answers! There's a competition carrot of €50 credits for the site.
    <snip>

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Sorry, we don't allow people to use Boards for their surveys unless it's here

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

No matter: I think most people on here will be getting the link in their email anyway...I just wanted a place to discuss it. It's not actually my survey.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

I limited myself to five suggestions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Got it. Don't use the site. Didn't complete it.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Just came to post this. I didn't hold anything back. Said even if I won their little prize, they'd still owe me.

It seems I'm not alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

I wasn't very complimentary either! But they need to hear these things if they are genuinely trying to make it a good resource.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Got it today and told them to blow it all up and start again, that they are ripping people off with worthless searches.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

I assume you all received the thank you note? 19,000 replies they said they got. Wonder what will come of this, if anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

RGM wrote: »
    I assume you all received the thank you note? 19,000 replies they said they got. Wonder what will come of this, if anything.

I got the thank you email but didn't actually do the survey!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

What's that about?
    How much do Roots charge?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Fiver a record if not in bulk. Sounds like a commentary on the lack of a single website and the awkward GRO access too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

mod9maple wrote: »

That blog by JG has to be irony, even if it is a poor attempt. It must be difficult to complain, as he needs the cooperation of the idiots running the asylum to do his daily work so it would not be easy to class them as such!

From Irish Times ......He found his grandfather Jimmy’s birth, in 1876, showing parents’ names and, crucially, the date and place of their marriage, 1872 (€1.70). Their marriage record showed their parents’ names (both mother and father), occupations and whether living or deceased (€1.70). The 1881 census for Glasgow revealed that Jimmy’s father had died and that he had a five-year-old younger sister (€1.70). A check of death records 1876-81 uncovered the death entry, confirming the names of both parents (€1.70). The 1871 census recorded Jimmy’s father and mother the year before they married, living with their parents, all giving their place of birth as Ireland, and the mother’s family (very helpfully) specifying “Galway” (€1.70).
    For his €8.50 ($10) the enquiring yank has obtained a staggering amount of information - his Gfather’s birthplace and date, his GGparents’s names along with their date and place of marriage, occupations, and living/dead. Another few census and death record checks confirm not only that he has the correct people but also leads to several other addresses.
    ... From Irish Times ...... even connecting with someone who remembered Jimmy as a young man and how he had emigrated to America.
    I’d worry about that bit, the memory of somebody aged more that 114yrs would be flawed!:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I presume he means that yer man was young when Jimmy was quite a bit older - but seeing as its quite probably a made up case story anyway...

On that finding people locally, a great uncle of mine went to the area that my g-g-grandfather was from in the late 50s when he was in college and found someone who was able to tell him my g-g-g-grandparents names, even though they died in the 1860s!. He'd told me them but didn't think they were accurate - but I was able to confirm they were from parish records eventually. Can be a very lucky result sometimes, but when I went there recently there wasn't even anyone around who knew exactly where the pre-1930 graveyard was by comparison.

Advertisement