Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brussels sprouts

Options
  • 08-05-2013 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

ive never done sprouts before and dont have room in the patch but my 9 year loves them and has persuaded me give them a go..

So i have a few seeds germinating in the greenhouse and intend on keeping just 1 or 2 plants in pots. I have 12in terracotta jobbys knocking around, could I transplant seedlings to these?

Would the plants mature enough in such a pot?

Any other brassica advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

Hi Whelzer
    Imho they would struggle to put on sufficient growth in the pots to make the effort worthwhile,sorry.
    Brussels, like all brassicas need firm ground, manured from a crop the previous season,e.g bean family which also fix nitrogen into the soil which they like, And with such a big leaf canopy on brussels, watering and wind rock would be a problem.

I have succeeded before in prepping/ammending/sowing brussels in a new piece of ground all in one go. Is that possible?
    2ft by 6 ft you could fit 3 plants, they really need space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

June or even July at a stretch would be ok for starting sprouts. Would that help you find the space? A lot people would keep them in pots for a while before clearing some summer crops and fitting them in. Can you do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

Great replies folks, thanks. I've currently got spuds (king eds) in last years bean/pea bed.
    They are 4-6in high. If they are out in time I'll put sprouts there.

I've also got a small sycamore tree in my border than I've been looking for an excuse to get rid of, reckon I could stick a plant or two in there as a one off...if I did this how should I treat the soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

If you dig a planting hole about 10 in deep16-18 in wide you could incorporate a combination of compost and well rotted manure(bucketfull per hole). Thread down with your feet to firm the ground.
    For me the most important things as the plants grow is mulching the ground(feeds and water retention), support for wind rock, and fine netting to prevent the cabbage white butterflys getting next or near your plants.

Advertisement