Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grinder

Options
  • 08-05-2013 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone here know where I can get a grinder with a decent wheel on it suitable for grinding skew chisels? I want one with a 'blue' stone if possible.

Cheers

Rich

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

One disadvantage of sharpening skew chisels in that way is that with a 6" stone, you'll get a significantly curved bevel. I have a Sorby Pro-Edge (http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/proedge.htm) I use for my wood-turning chisels and it's the bee's knees. Perfectly flat bevels plus it's nice and wide too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

Why would you use a 6 inch grinder? I've been using an 8 inch for a couple of years and its much better http://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/8-bench-grinder-with-40mm-whitestone should be available for under €100 over here thats what my local Builders merchants charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

:confused: Has anyone any views of the waterstone grinders such as Tormek/Jet /Scheppach etc. ?
    The Tormek are very pricey but my local sawblade sharpener uses one for planer blades.Reviews on the net are mixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

recipio wrote: »
    :confused: Has anyone any views of the waterstone grinders such as Tormek/Jet /Scheppach etc. ?
    The Tormek are very pricey but my local sawblade sharpener uses one for planer blades.Reviews on the net are mixed.

I actually have a Tormek for sale. In absolutely perfect condition with very, very little work done.
    All feel free to PM me for more details.

Anybody know what is the craic with advertising tools for sale on this forum.
    I've changed career and need to sell some of my tools. All good brands, all well maintained.
    I've PM'ed the Mod regarding this but didn't get a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

I actually have a Tormek for sale. In absolutely perfect condition with very, very little work done.
    All feel free to PM me for more details.

Anybody know what is the craic with advertising tools for sale on this forum.
    I've changed career and need to sell some of my tools. All good brands, all well maintained.
    I've PM'ed the Mod regarding this but didn't get a reply.

Advertising on here isn't allowed. You can advertise on adverts.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

I got myself a 'record power' grinder with an 8" white wheel. Its bloody great!!
    I'm going to also get a finer 8" blue wheel. The white one seems good and doesn't run too
    hot either which is a great advantage.
    Have to just make up a bit of a jig for sharpening my gouges. Tried a few old chisels I had
    that I though were for the dustbin but there almost new now . Used the Japanese waterstone on them after, I can see myself in them now!! Look out Gillette!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

I have a tormek. great machine but takes a bit of getting used to. I couldnt do without one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭jack of all

I too have a Tormek, its a good sharpening system but it's messy and not worth setting up unless I've a load of tools to sharpen. For light touching up of edges in between "grinding" I still use my Norton oilstones.

Advertisement