Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splitting a Single Network Switch

Options
  • 08-05-2013 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

Splitting a switch into two separate networks.

Is it possible to split a switch into two separate networks and how? I have normally taken care of all my companies IT needs without any issues until today, when our voip provider installed their equipment - Basically they want to bypass our firewall with the voip data and go driect from their modem to the switch and then patch it out to the relavent ports.

Data is to be routed from their modem through the firewall then to the same switch which the VOIP line is going directly to.

My preferred option would be to route all traffic from the modem through the firewall / switch but our provider does not want to route any voip traffic through the firewall due to issues they have experienced in the past with other clients - even with nothing blocked etc on the firewall

Our new and small office offices network topology consists of

1 - Telecom Providers Modem with two ethernet ports ( ETH1 VOIP / ETH2 DATA)
    2- 1 X Firewall ZyXEL Zywall USG 50 ( 2 Lan in / 4 Lan Out)
    3 - 1 x 24 Port Switch ZyXEL GS1910HP
    4 - 24 Port Patch Panel

Any Help would be appreciated -

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Just buy another switch "for the data" ?

http://www.dabs.ie/products/zyxel-gs1510-24-24-port-gigabit-web-managed-switch-7BFT.html?refs=50907-55660000-4294945027&src=3

or better one

( i'm presuming the existing switch is POE for the phones )

If the VOIP has "issues" in the future it might save hassle since :

Jambo wrote: »
    our provider does not want to route any voip traffic through the firewall due to issues they have experienced in the past with other clients - even with nothing blocked etc on the firewall

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Is all the equipment in the same place?

You could use their modem and firewall for just voip using its own poe switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

@ gctest50 / Mr. G - that would be obvious solution but I already nearly have a a full comms cabinet and I really want to avoid getting another switch if I can- especially considering the 24 port one already that would be still underutilised if I had all data and voice connected to it.

I think I will try and route everything through the firewall and just set up rules for the IP addresses of the phones - and give it all a trial run - after all the provider did tell us at the start if we are lacking data ports for the phones that the phones can share the same port as other davices/pc's as the phone their own switch in them

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

Create two VLANs on the switch and stick the voip stuff into one and the rest into another.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

If you get the option setup a vlan, as ro2 said. Data from the phones then flow through the their modem. So they are like two different networks. This feature is becoming more and more common on routers so you might have the option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Thanks for the replies I will have a look at the VLAN option - I probably just tinker around myself so to gain an understanding but will get an IT pro to set it up to make sure I have no gaps in security / connectivity etc

Advertisement