Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Photography - turning off VR & IS... why?

Options
  • 08-05-2013 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

I've read some tips from sports photographers where they turn off IS & VR... why would this need to be done? Is this if you are using a monopod rather than handheld?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Ìt wont help in action shots only when the shutter speed is very low and the subject is not moving. Some IS/VR systems help with panning

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭TTWNF

Borderfox wrote: »
    Ìt wont help in action shots only when the shutter speed is very low and the subject is not moving. Some IS/VR systems help with panning

yes but mostly sports is shot at the high shutter speeds, aperture wide open for the action shots... i've seen a few really good sports recommend turning them off alright but it's only for non-action shots then... cheers for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

TTWNF wrote: »
    I've read some tips from sports photographers where they turn off IS & VR... why would this need to be done? Is this if you are using a monopod rather than handheld?

there is a slight difference in shutter speeds and focussing when IS (canon) is turned on ... it might be microseconds but when shooting sports its microseconds that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

While not for sports photography, I do it for nature shots with birds or insects flying and I have noticed a higher than usual keep rate.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

IS attempts to cancel out movement so if your are intensionally moving the camera trying to track a moving object your fighting the IS system. Higher end lenses have 2 IS modes one for 2D IS and one for 1D IS (panning).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Rew wrote: »
    Higher end lenses have 2 IS modes one for 2D IS and one for 1D IS (panning).

The latest Canon lenses have 3 IS modes. 1 for standard IS, 2 for panning IS, and 3 for instant IS.

Either way, all sports photographers I know, including myself, turn off IS when shooting sport.

IS takes too long to lock focus and stabilise. That period of time could be the difference between getting a shot or missing it. And, if you are shooting with a shutter speed that is 1/focal_Length, then you will be shooting fast enough to negate lens shake.

guys that's really helpful thank you all; will turn it off next time & see how it compares... i had thought that i needed to leave it on in case of camera shake because i was following the play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

TTWNF wrote: »
    guys that's really helpful thank you all; will turn it off next time & see how it compares... i had thought that i needed to leave it on in case of camera shake because i was following the play

depending on the lens .... a monopod should reduce shaking.

what lenses are you using ? your stance might also lead to shake, are you standing or sitting when taking pics, are you using two hands or one when taking pics ?

the difference with turning off the IS mode is very little but its noticeable at games when you are under pressure to get images and are using the 10-14fps that the camera has.

Corkbah wrote: »
    depending on the lens .... a monopod should reduce shaking.

what lenses are you using ? your stance might also lead to shake, are you standing or sitting when taking pics, are you using two hands or one when taking pics ?

the difference with turning off the IS mode is very little but its noticeable at games when you are under pressure to get images and are using the 10-14fps that the camera has.

i've didn't say i had a problem with camera shake i was just trying to understand why IS is turned off by sports photographers...

i'm gonna try at the next game i shoot to see what that difference is!

Advertisement