Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating the Leaving

Options
  • 08-05-2013 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I'm going to repeat the leaving cert in September and I'm just wondering are ordinary level Accounting and Economics easy to pick up in a year? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Why not HL Economics? It's not too hard to pick it up in a yr.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

I pretty much picked up economics at HL at the beginning of 6th year and I'm finding it grand now. You have a great amount of choice on the paper (8 long q's, answer 4) and the SQ's aren't too bad either. The course is really short, you'd have more than enough time to get the whole course covered, that being if you work at it throughout the year. Some of the questions you'd find on the paper are doable even if you haven't studied economics, for example, "Why do multinational companies relocate in Ireland?". You should give a look through the exam on www.examinations.ie and see what you think of it. I do the subject by myself and honestly I don't spend too much time on it. I find most of the subject interesting (the Macro part, I detest the Micro!), so that makes it a little easier for me I suppose. I did it in the mocks with not even having 4 long q's covered, and I still managed to get a C2!

Accounting is a different story for me! I do it in school, in a normal class with a teacher. I do it at HL, and find it extremely confusing at times, and complicated. I don't know about the OL course, but the HL course is long, but a lot of different questions on the course are really similar. Saying that, it still took us up to a few weeks ago to get the course fully done + revision of the main accounts. I would recommend it for HL anyways, and I can't really judge for OL as I don't know the difficulty of that.

But for sure, I'd try and take economics on at HL.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Shauna30895

I didn't think it was possible to cover a 2 year HL course in 1 year :/ I think I'll give HL Economnics a go but I'll stick to OL accounting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

If you work really well at a subject you can do it in a year (except English, maths and Irish). Like in one of the student supplements in the times a girl got an A1 in business in the year( some people can't get a grasp of business).

I think most subjects can be done in a year if you work hard on them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 kInEtiC pEnGuIn

you have to learn loads of definitions and concepts, but the maths is easy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Dynamo Roller

Why not try a Fetac level 5 course in accounting or similar? the best thing to do is ring the business dept. of whatever college you want to get into and ask them if a Fetac level 5 with your LC would be enough. The only thing that could be a problem is the start and end of the course and if it misses the CAO deadlines. Anyway its something to consider

Advertisement