Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starrings rant

Options
  • 08-05-2013 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭

Sorry just have to get this off my chest. New season and already the starring's circus begins in earnest.

One moment we read on on the Cricketleinster website that the LCU are considering a more pragmatic approach to starring's this season. The next I'm getting an email from our club secretary asking me to rejig my teams starring's as two of our first team players have been told they must be removed from the starring list.

Now fair enough players aren't available they should be removed, nobody has an issue with that, but FFS our first team have played ONE GAME. ONE GAME missed and they are being asked to be removed.

When will the LCU actually have a bit of cop on here. Have they ever heard of the word discression. Were at the beginning of the season not in mid June when availability can be properly appraised.

Its a flipping joke. So now our second team suffers as a result of a heavy handed approach and in turn we have to put guys from the thirds up and they suffer and so on and so forth.

I know this isn't your job anymore Renno but surely your successor can apply a bit of logic here. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

In the interest of fairness and balance I should update that after we went back to the LCU to advise we thought the request being made was unfair they relented and allowed our starrings remain.

Some unnecessary administration and communication sure but at least the end result was the right one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Sanity prevails! Starring really is one of the worst things about administing a side, but Im not going to go off on a rant about it because I really cant think of a better system. Its a necessary evil unfortunately (and one Im only too glad of as a lower league player). So long as appeals can be made and common sense is used from both sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Any quick explanation about what starring is please?

Clubs have to nominate 11 players for each team, and of those 11 players 8 can only play on that team or higher, and of the other 3 only 1 or 2 (depending on the leagues) can play in the next team down. It's a way of stopping a first team player lining up for the fifths!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

djimi wrote: »
    Clubs have to nominate 11 players for each team, and of those 11 players 8 can only play on that team or higher, and of the other 3 only 1 or 2 (depending on the leagues) can play in the next team down. It's a way of stopping a first team player lining up for the fifths!

Thanks, that makes sense. Does the club nominate the 8 or is it based on averages?

• Advertisement

The clubs nominate the players. Youll be told quickly enough if someone is playing at a level that is too low for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

The clubs nominate the players. Youll be told quickly enough if someone is playing at a level that is too low for them!

See Division 13 last year...

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

D3PO wrote: »
    In the interest of fairness and balance I should update that after we went back to the LCU to advise we thought the request being made was unfair they relented and allowed our starrings remain.

Some unnecessary administration and communication sure but at least the end result was the right one.

disgraceful backing down on the part of the LCU with no ulterior motive I demand that you remove these players and move all three of your current second team floaters up

TheDrog wrote: »
    disgraceful backing down on the part of the LCU with no ulterior motive I demand that you remove these players and move all three of your current second team floaters up

haha Mr Marsh are our thirds due to play you soon ? My guess is yes :D:D

EDIT Just checked this Saturday infact haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Not starrings related but I'm wondering what people think of playing a team in a "league" match where their ethos is not far removed from Tavs cricket.

http://adamstowncc.hitscricket.com/news/default.aspx#news64909

I have no issue with Tavs cricket or introducing people to the game but using league fixtures for this ???

• Advertisement

blobbie wrote: »
    Not starrings related but I'm wondering what people think of playing a team in a "league" match where their ethos is not far removed from Tavs cricket.

I have no issue with Tavs cricket or introducing people to the game but using league fixtures for this ???

I dont really see the issue to be honest? They have won two of their four games so far so its not like they are putting out teams of kids/beginners knowing they will get trounced each week. They clearly use it as a development side and fair play to them I say. Anyone playing cricket in Div 14 is either starting out or is there to enjoy themselves, so I applaud any side that aims to get everyone involved in all aspects of the game. Nothing worse, as a beginner especially, to turn up to games only to bat no 11 and not bowl. Their strategy with this side ensures that all players get a fair crack at all aspects of the game, and should help their players to develop fully which benefits both the player and the club as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

D3PO wrote: »
    haha Mr Marsh are our thirds due to play you soon ? My guess is yes :D:D

EDIT Just checked this Saturday infact haha.

pure coincidence, didn't even realise that ;)

blobbie wrote: »

I have no issue with it. Our Third team has a similar ethos in that its primary aim is to ensure a game for those that want one and that takes precedence over winning.

What I mean by that is that 11 players of whatever ability put their hand up to play will be selected. We wont play 2 below the line second team players even though we could unless the team cant be filled by 11 non starred players.

And it works well they are competitive in div 13. We could potentially put out a 3rd team weekly of guys of a standard that would walk that division if we actively wanted to try and get the better non starred lads to play every week but we don't.

You want a game sure no hassles first come first served. I'm pretty sure its the same for most clubs bottom sides TBH

What I mean by that is that 11 players of whatever ability put their hand up to play will be selected.

Im just happy/relieved to get 11 players on the park most weekends :pac:

Im just happy/relieved to get 11 players on the park most weekends :pac:

Tell me about it. I managed to get 10 guys for a Div 9 game out of 37 asked two weeks ago.

:eek:

Amazing how you cant get 11 to trek to Mullingar on the Sunday of a Bank Holiday yet you can get all 11 starred available for a game in College Park :pac:

Advertisement