Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Engine Controller on Turbo Grafx

Options
  • 08-05-2013 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭

So I bought i very nice little PC Engine controller stupidly assuming it would work on my Turbo Grafx. Alas, PC Engine is 8 Din-Mini and Turbo Grafx is 8 Din.

Is there any way I can get this controller to work on my Turbo Grafx. It's so nice I'd rather use it than get another TurboPad :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Yep, the protocol is identical. You just need to make a cable adapter or change the connector to a Din 8 on the controller.

Mini DIN

th_mini_din8_male.jpg

Fat 'ol DIN

th_din8_male.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Argh, this is the same with the issue I have with my Amiga 1084 monitor.

Fat din 6 port on the monitor, mini din 6 to scart adapter in my hand. Must get that sorted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

You could just buy the two needed connections & make an adapter loom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

You want one of these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Turbo-grafx-16-Duo-adapter/dp/B001EA0ZO6

I used to have one when I had a Turbo Grafx joystick. Turns out that joystick is utter diarrhoea though so I sold the lot. I'd rather gargle diarrhoea for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day for a year than use that joystick ever again.

I disinfected the house after I posted it. BE GONE!

If you pay £29.99 for a simple adapter you need serious help !! You'd probably buy a PC-Engine for that..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Pyongyang wrote: »
    You want one of these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Turbo-grafx-16-Duo-adapter/dp/B001EA0ZO6

I used to have one when I had a Turbo Grafx joystick. Turns out that joystick is utter diarrhoea though so I sold the lot. I'd rather gargle diarrhoea for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day for a year than use that joystick ever again.

I disinfected the house after I posted it. BE GONE!

30 sterling is a bit dear. How hard would it be to change the connection to a din 8 do yis reckon ?

brianon wrote: »
    How hard would it be to change the connection to a din 8 do yis reckon ?

Buy a male din connector, & female mini din connector & connect the pins like for like. Use heat shrink & shrouding then if you like to make it look neater

That's the Amazon price. I got mine on eBay for about £12 posted. Though that was a while ago. £30 is ridiculous though.

That's the Amazon price. I got mine on eBay for about £12 posted. Though that was a while ago. £30 is ridiculous though.

Found it on ebay but I think that's the opposite of what I need.

5815984-2.jpg

If I bought a 8 pin din male and 8 pin mini-din female I would just wire them up yeah ?

No, that adapter works either way. I used it on my PC Engine Duo R. The person I sold it to was using it on a Turbo Grafx to connect a PC Engine controller to it. So you'll be grand.

Just for the love of God don't buy a Turbo Stick.

• Advertisement

Totally confused now :)

That adapter would not plug into my Turbo Grafx!? The Turbo Grafx has an 8 pin din female connection on it. That adapter has an 8 pin mini-din male connection.

The male here is too small for the female !? :)

252955.JPG

Trust me. That adapter works.

No, that adapter works either way

How can it, unless it comes with gender changers?

It worked for the bloke I sold it to on his TG16... :confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

EnterNow wrote: »
    How can it, unless it comes with gender changers?

Sure Pyongyang is famous for his double adapter shenanigans. :p

It worked for the bloke I sold it to on his TG16... :confused:

If the TG16 has an 8pin female din, & this adapter has an 8pin male mini-din...I can't see how that'd work unless he had an and adapter or something on it?

tumblr_mkbrngewSQ1ritwuto1_500.gif

shrug gif

Just saying, its £30 after all :)

I'd sooner buy the two required connectors in Radionics & wire them up myself

Ya male to male isn't going to work but female to female ain't so bad to watch :)

EnterNow wrote: »
    Just saying, its £30 after all :)

I'd sooner buy the two required connectors in Radionics & wire them up myself

£12 on eBay! :P

But yeah, for the few quid and a bit of fiddling it's probably best to make one up. As for that cable though, I don't know the full story on it just that the bloke who bought it off me was happy out with it on his TG16 so I dunno...

Worked great on my Duo R with a TG16 stick though...

Well, when I say great I mean the cable. The stick was just a load of old bum. :pac:

• Advertisement

On a related note, are those tg16--->pc engine hucard adapters expensive?I'd rather not go modding my Duo-R :o

The adapters are not cheap (at least last time I'd had a look for one). I think I read somewhere about a switchless mod for the Duo/R/RX now? Don't quote me on that though.

The adapters are not cheap (at least last time I'd had a look for one). I think I read somewhere about a switchless mod for the Duo/R/RX now? Don't quote me on that though.

Yeah last I looked I don't think I could even find one, let alone price it. A switchless mod now, that does sound interesting because the switch needed for the old mod is a big 8-pole monste

Edit - normal switch will do with some logic circuitry it seems

Its still a fairly invasive mod though as your swapping a bunch of (address/data ?) lines on the card slot - switchless or not.

Not sure if I'd bother on a rare enough console, is the cart slot socketed ?

Excellent, & a lot cheaper than buying a TG16. Cheers Pyong!

Oh...you mean these :D
    Got mine a few years ago. Wasn't 'too' expensive but not too cheap. You see them from time to time for sale.

252963.JPG

Back on track though ... anyone able to point me to links for what I need to make my own cable adapter ?

This and this .

Or their Radionics/Maplins/Ebay equivalents (later most likely the cheapest source)

Advertisement