Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on taking B+W Photos

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I find Mike Browne's YouTube videos to be among the best photography tutorials on YT. This one might not be his best but it does show options for converting to B&W in Photoshop

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7aDtanXkkQ

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ImagenEstilo

My tuppence worth:

Don't shoot at f/11. I would tend to drop it to f/8 ish for longer focal lengths and maybe f/5.6 for wider angles. This is all about getting max sharpness.

In terms of post processing, in my own experience the best B&W conversion out there is Silver Efex Pro. I have not come across anything better and it has a ton of options. If you have photoshop then download a trial from the Nik site (now owned by Google) and give it a whirl. It is awesome. In fact, they have the whole Nik suite of S/W on offer for $149. Root around for a discount code and you can get it for $120. With this you get Color Efex Pro, Silver Efex Pro, Define, Vivazza, HDR Pro and a sharpening tool. The HDR S/W is a bit sh1t but the other stuff is excellent.

I find the standard B&W conversions in any standalone program rather poor. Best using a B&W specific program.

Advertisement