Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank deposits may be at risk - Irish Times

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

How is this news anyways, stuff over 100k was never formally protected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

srsly78 wrote: »

Yes, but this is seriously bad news. They will target depositors "as a last resort" who have over 100k in ALL banks as a means of funding a bailout of one or more banks in a national territory. This was never on the cards until Cyprus hit.

The fools will force people(ya know investors\savers) to convert their money to other currencies which do not have depositors as a target for bailouts.

This was never protected = this was always on the cards.

In a national bailout of banks? Since when? Out of all the European bailouts that happened before Cyprus, depositors large as well as small were not even considered to be targeted.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21827922
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21920574

If I had 100k+ in a bank, i'd quickly move it to another currency when these new rules come in. I wouldn't even trust them if I had only 10k, as Cypriot savers who had this amount were considered legitimate targets for a bailout tax.

Just because they didn't do this before doesn't mean there was any kind of protection in place.

Clearly having over 100k in an account is pretty dumb, when you could just redistribute it into multiple sub 100k accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭OU812

When the next round of write offs happen (although they're supposed to have made allowances for them in the first bailout), we're going to see some pretty scary stuff with the banks.

I'd say it's only a matter of time before deposits will be targeted.

Just because they didn't do this before doesn't mean there was any kind of protection in place.

Clearly having over 100k in an account is pretty dumb, when you could just redistribute it into multiple sub 100k accounts.

I wouldn't trust it been safe in this way either. They considered taxing small savers in Cyprus for the bailout, that was the precedent set and dented confidence in the Euro banks even further.

And if you have money in Irish, Spanish, Portuguese, Greek and Italian banks, the advice is to tread carefully as these countries are still vulnerable to future bailouts where depositors can be targeted.

The big fuss over Cyprus was because there IS protection for deposits under 100k. Clearly hitting these depositors would break the rules and set a precedent.

There was no fuss about hitting deposits over 100k.

The big fuss over Cyprus was because there IS protection for deposits under 100k. Clearly hitting these depositors would break the rules and set a precedent.

There was no fuss about hitting deposits over 100k.

You didn't even read the link supplied.
    Retail savers are being punished, by a levy of 6.75% on savings up to 100,000 euros.

The first bailout taxed small savers under 100k until it was changed over the outrage and contagion effect on other countries. The principle was broken then.

The guarantee only applies to private individuals, not to businesses.

• Advertisement

The guarantee only applies to private individuals, not to businesses.

The first Cyprus bailout violated the guarantee of small savings(less than 100k) held by private individuals. This was changed after the euro ministers realised it was a mistake to target them due to the outrage generated.

Nope it was the Cypriots that wanted to hit the small savers initially. The ECB just told them to cough up X amount, how they gathered the X amount was left to themselves. Much easier to blame ze germans tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

I was a bit confused by the statement above so wanted to clarify for all reading this thread or be corrected. My understanding is that the 100K deposit guarantee scheme is up to 100K per individual in each bank. So the multiple sub 100K accounts have to be in different banks and not separate accounts in the same bank.

FYI, http://www.nca.ie/nca/deposit-guarantee-scheme
    offers simple examples and how much of your deposit is protected just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

Noonan, with one stroke of his pen, robbed our private pension funds:(
    I think it was, 0.6% per year for four years.

Absolutely nothing to stop him, robbing our deposits, if the mood were to take him, at any given point in future. And that's outside of a necessary bank bail out.

In any case, mony on deposit, right now, is shrinking in real terms, 24/7.

No need to wait around for a bank bail out / bank bail in, to lose part of your cash:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

OU812 wrote: »
    When the next round of write offs happen (although they're supposed to have made allowances for them in the first bailout), we're going to see some pretty scary stuff with the banks.

I'd say it's only a matter of time before deposits will be targeted.

We heard the whole "it's only a matter of time" rubbish before with deposits, euro collapse, riots on the streets in Dublin.
    When things go quiet people love to stir up a story.

People were told to ditch currency and buy Gold. Didn't the price of Gold slump ? And still deposits in banks are still there.

For the Joe soap with less than 100k in the bank it's safer in the ban than jumping into something you know little about.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Absolutely nothing to stop him, robbing our deposits, if the mood were to take him, at any given point in future. And that's outside of a necessary bank bail out.

No need to wait around for a bank bail out / bank bail in, to lose part of your cash:rolleyes:

Deposits are riskier to tax than a pension fund. Usually you can't touch your pension fund whereas deposits can be withdrawn or transferred out of the country in no time.

Absolutely nothing to stop him, robbing our deposits, if the mood were to take him, at any given point in future.

That would be in breach of the EU guarantee and Noonan would get a spanking. However you are correct in that Ireland could withdraw from the EU and then steal all our loot. If there was any danger of that happening would you have your money in an Irish bank? I'm sure I am not the only poster with multiple perfectly legitimate foreign accounts on standby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

Let us not forget that our Government congratulated Cyprus when they decided to hit the small depositors.

There was a lot of back tracking after the Cypriot people rejected this and the Government went for the larger deposits.

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carpejugulum

Savings are already being hit by the current low interest rates and QE. It's the same as taking your money but not perceived as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

Savings are already being hit by the current low interest rates and QE. It's the same as taking your money but not perceived as such.
    What does QE mean?

I always laugh when people complain about the "low" bank interest rates :)
    Have you every checked out the rates U.S. banks are paying? Major banks like Bank of America pay 0.25% or less. I'm happy that savings accounts in Ireland can pay 2% and higher if you don't need instant access.

Here is a roundup of the best U.S. rates you can get on a high interest savings account (1 year CD accounts are no better):
    http://www.bankrate.com/funnel/savings/savings-results.aspx?prods=33

• Advertisement

ScottSF wrote: »
    I'm happy that savings accounts in Ireland can pay 2% and higher if you don't need instant access.

There are instant access accounts paying 2.5% here right now. Or do you mean post-dirt?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carpejugulum

ScottSF wrote: »
    What does QE mean?

I always laugh when people complain about the "low" bank interest rates :)
    Have you every checked out the rates U.S. banks are paying? Major banks like Bank of America pay 0.25% or less. I'm happy that savings accounts in Ireland can pay 2% and higher if you don't need instant access.

Here is a roundup of the best U.S. rates you can get on a high interest savings account (1 year CD accounts are no better):
    http://www.bankrate.com/funnel/savings/savings-results.aspx?prods=33
    Quantitative Easing = money printing

The US central bank has been doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

The reality is that you money is safer in a bank than anywhere else. How safe is the US or Japan. You do not know what will happen in China or Russia.

4 years ago loads of people were advised to put there money in gold, sterling or in German bank accounts. The people who deposited it in Ireland and actively managed it earned over 3%/year before dirt. Some even got the interest in advance.

In a German bank you might have averaged a half a percent, gold and sterling have fallen in value. A bit of commonscense is needed, if you have more than 100K leave no more than that in any bank (I do not). The government knows that it will only once levy deposits as after that loads of money will flow out of the country.

In reality it already has a levy in place it is call DIRT, it is planning to also charge PRSI on Interest. This will bring the tax on interest to above 35% of interest earned. On money earning 2% this is equivalent to a 0.7% levy.

Joe Duffy nearly started a run on the banks a few years ago lets not try to start another as we will all be the loosers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

I love this sh1t.

I agree, deposit insurance is pretty pointless if a Government is just going to guarantee all unsecured liabilities anyway.

But can we please have less of the equivalent of "oh ya lik I'm not even bothered if u dont know this ur thick lol"

It would be a big deal. It would be a major shock if it happened. Most people, or businesses rather, who place their funds in European banks do not consider such haircuts "on the cards". Thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15

gurramok wrote: »
    The first Cyprus bailout violated the guarantee of small savings(less than 100k) held by private individuals. This was changed after the euro ministers realised it was a mistake to target them due to the outrage generated.
    I thought it was because the euroministers failed to get the required legislation passed in the Cyprus parliament.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

dlouth15 wrote: »
    I thought it was because the euroministers failed to get the required legislation passed in the Cyprus parliament.
    The euroministers? It was their own damn government who wanted the 6.75% levy on below 100k so that they would not need to hit the Russian money to hard. The "euroministers" simply told them that they had to cough up X Billion and how they got that was their choice (i.e. they could have raised it by selling state property or mining rights or what ever but the Cyprus government decided to go after the deposits instead).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

bbam wrote: »
    People were told to ditch currency and buy Gold. Didn't the price of Gold slump ? And still deposits in banks are still there.

Told by whom?

An ounce of gold still weighs an ounce, same as it ever did. Over the long-term all fiat currency tends towards zero value. According to the Comex or London Bullion market, theoretically you can buy gold for less fiat than a couple of months ago, but inevitably, according to Gresham's law, there is a shortage of supply as people especially in Asia snap up what they see as a bargain. Actual hold-it-in-your-hand gold (as opposed to 'paper' gold like ETFs) is selling everywhere for a big premium where it is available at all.

Also, deposits in Cypriot banks aren't still there. The precedent has been set and repeated by senior EU officials since.

I conclude two things: depositors ought to be aware they are now considered as lenders to banks and their funds are at risk; and the true price of gold (or silver or platinum for that matter) is now more accurately discerned from ebay than it is from any of the official markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

From my understanding, the 100k guarantee the Irish govt gave was that if any particular bank went bust, their depositors up to 100k would be protected by the government.

In Cyprus they were going to go for taxes on depositers in all banks regardless of the financial health of the bank, but eventually realised what a bad idea that was, and changed their mind.

Am I right on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Told by whom?

It was one of the recommendations that was made by financial advisors with certain.......interests.

We were also told that we should dump the Euro for Swiss Francs. Anybody who has invested since July 2011 has lost up to 10% of their investment value as the euro gets stronger against the swiss franc.

• Advertisement

I love this sh1t.

I agree, deposit insurance is pretty pointless if a Government is just going to guarantee all unsecured liabilities anyway.

The "unlimited guarantee" expired in 2010, you should pay more attention to important stuff like this.

Other posters have already linked official information about the current state of affairs, go and read it. For your convenience I will link it again: http://www.nca.ie/nca/deposit-guarantee-scheme

Advertisement