Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I get an HIV test in Dublin?

Options
  • 08-05-2013 7:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

Does anyone know if we have a drop in clinic or something where I can get an HIV test done?

I just have a rule (Mum is a nurse) that for each sexual partner I have, I will get tested. Since I have possible ambitions of becoming a professional pilot then I have to look after myself

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,982 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Maybe this is a stupid question, but if you're that concerned about it, then why have sex in the first place? A HIV test is only going to tell you if you have it, it's not going to stop you from getting it.

Why not, instead, make sure a potential partner and you are tested before having sex?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Maybe this is a stupid question, but if you're that concerned about it, then why have sex in the first place? A HIV test is only going to tell you if you have it, it's not going to stop you from getting it.

Why not, instead, make sure a potential partner and you are tested before having sex?

What he said.

Your rule should be about prevention - you're biggest concern should be taking precautions before and during sex.

Also, you know there is a 3 month window for HIV where it might not show up on tests. I hope you factored that in.

Finally, congrats on getting some.

Assuming you were protected, you shouldn't be too worried about it. Though a sexual check up every 6 months is a good idea.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

GMHP, free, albeit with the risk of not being seen on a given night if busy, etc.

Pretty much any GP going, anywhere up to 200 quid although most are a lot cheaper now, may get results back slightly, as in a day or two, quicker. The quicker ones usually courier the samples to the UK, as the NVRL take the same time for everyone, public or private.

But as said above, there's an infection window meaning that its pretty much pointless going very shortly afterwards (unless you have an actual serious cause for concern, in which case you'd be going for PEP).

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Patrick83

There`s a drop in cinic in Smithfield market,No appointment neccesary, used to be called charter medical , it`s affiliated with the Mater Hospital now.near the maldron Hotel,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Patrick83 wrote: »
    There`s a drop in cinic in Smithfield market,No appointment neccesary, used to be called charter medical , it`s affiliated with the Mater Hospital now.near the maldron Hotel,

It's a bit on the expensive side.
    Cost
    What does a sexual health screen cost?

A full sexual health screen costs €120
    Full sexual health screen – Student rate €50
    Full sexual health screen – Medical Card Rate (GMS) €50
    Cryotherapy session (treatment for genital warts) €60
    Cryotherapy session (treatment for genital warts) €40 (Student/Medical Card Holder)
    MSU (if necessary) €35
    Swab (if necessary) €45

Other fees include

Results appointment (if necessary) €25
    Review appointment €40
    General consultation (without STI screen) €55 or €45 with valid medical or student card
    Cryotherapy review €40

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭bopper

The Mater hospital's STI clinic is completely free. The waiting list for appointments is usually 5-6 weeks and even if you arrive on time for your appointment you'll still be waiting about two hours to be seen. I think they're small complaints to have though considering it's a free service and the staff are really friendly (bar the receptionist).

Advertisement