Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Panels search

Options
  • 07-05-2013 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

I am looking for black panels ideally with a grain texture .
    I have tried the Panelling centre in Cork as well as various builders providers,
    They more or less said there is no demand for them.

300mm width or 8 by 4 sheets

Anyone know a supplier in Cork? (or anywhere )
    :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Reader1937

Perhaps give Finsa in Clare a ring and ask them who they supply in Cork. They did a "Black Ash" set of panels in their range as I remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Black ash used to be available but not sure any more. Just get a sheet of ash veneered mdf and spray it black. ash tends to throw out the most distinct grain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

1chippy wrote: »
    Black ash used to be available but not sure any more. Just get a sheet of ash veneered mdf and spray it black. ash tends to throw out the most distinct grain.

Ash is your man alright. Just don't fill the grain with primer and paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

I agree with the spraying...machine all of your parts then disassemble then spray and reassemble... Nothing worse then cutting and having white bits showing spesh when there is such a contrast in colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

slpower01 wrote: »
    I agree with the spraying...machine all of your parts then disassemble then spray and reassemble... Nothing worse then cutting and having white bits showing spesh when there is such a contrast in colours.

True. If you don't have spraying facilities you can get 'Chestnut' ebony spray cans. Just spray on a sealer first and the can will give you two coats on a medium sized piece. I always put spray cans into hot water for a few minutes which loosens up the mixture and increases the pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Robbie71

Thanks for the info,
    I have'nt sprayed before .
    Do I use gloss or eggshell paint and how many coats would be required to get an even finish ?
    I would think that it would take a 3 or 4 coats ?

The spray cans are another option but I will check costing. Its just for a number of book shelf units to match an existing black ash desk.

I am surprised that black ash is not available as the colour black is always popular.No?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Robbie71 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info,
    I have'nt sprayed before .
    Do I use gloss or eggshell paint and how many coats would be required to get an even finish ?
    I would think that it would take a 3 or 4 coats ?

The spray cans are another option but I will check costing. Its just for a number of book shelf units to match an existing black ash desk.

I am surprised that black ash is not available as the colour black is always popular.No?

The Chestnut cans are about 7.50 each available by mail order from W Raitt in Stranolar Co Donegal- the only outlet in the ROI that I know of.
    Black ash was all the rage in the 1980's - I like it personally but its fallen out of favour. You might have success finding old stock in hardware shops ??

Advertisement