Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science/Computing Colleges

Options
  • 07-05-2013 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Which college is considered the "best" in terms of it's computers course? I realize that different colleges will have different strenghts and weaknesses but I'm hoping that I can get some idea of what the differences are. The number of points a course requires doesn't really tell the whole story.

If you are currently studying a computers course what do you like/dislike about your college?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

It all depends on a person's definition of "best".

To be honest, the "best" thing to do is pick a college/university that suits your needs (as in, accessibility, points, etc.) and discuss that, rather than getting numerous different viewpoints on a range of institutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 BWSMG

From what I have heard DCU are renowned for computer science

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ginger Leprechaun

I'm changing courses from something else into this, so I already know my points. If last years points requirements for the IT courses are anything to go by then I shouldn't have a problem in that department. In terms of accessibility, I'd rather go somewhere in Dublin, but Dundalk and Maynooth are possibilities too.

I heard that Trinity and UCD don't have practicals in their courses. For computers in particular I think that's a big drawback as I'm the type of person that learns by doing something. Does anyone know how each of the colleges are for practicals/tutorials?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

I heard that Trinity and UCD don't have practicals in their courses.
    I heard this too but can't confirm it. I know of two people who studied computer science in Trinity and said they weren't happy with the education they got there, citing a lack of hands on experince. Although some people just like a moan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

To be quite honest the "course" doesn't make a difference. At the end of the day it what you can do that matters. Most CS courses, if not all relies that student do private work outside college.

Anyway Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 E_Mc_T

I'm just after finishing first year in DCU and hoping i passed all of my exams!
    I'l warn you now that make sure you have an interest in it because some of my mates have dropped out due to not knowing whats involved. So far we have had maybe 10 dropouts out of a class of about 140. But i will say its a great course and its not hard if you put the work in.
    The programming language you use is java which is a great language, you dont learn any other programming language untill second year. For web you do html and css which i learned most of the night before my exam (i really dont advise this) maths can be tough just keep on top of it.
    Finally i know people in UCD and Trinity and from what they said they do very little practical mainly theory whereas in DCU you have two 2hour programming labs a week in first semester and 1 in second semester which is where i done most of my learning. I do know that they do more languages in first year especially in Trinity but my guess is they do a little of each whereas i can say that i am pretty good at java.

Really its what college best suits your needs but its a great sector to get into and points are rising every year!

If you want more info or example of notes or programmes we've made let me know.
    Also codeacadamy.com is a great website for learning html and css, also good for java script you dont do this in first year but its similar to java and a great language to know!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 7 ativs

I heard NUI Galway offer quiet good course. I think You can find lots of chance to do with studying.

Advertisement