Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European commission to criminalise nearly all seeds and plants not registered .

Options
  • 07-05-2013 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭

European commission to criminalise nearly all seeds and plants not registered with government.
    "Nearly all varieties of heirloom vegetable seeds will be criminalized under this proposed EU law. This means the act of saving seeds from one generation to the next -- a cornerstone of sustainable living -- will become a criminal act."
    More crazy laws comming it seems...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭spynappels

Hmm, I'd like to see a less partisan explanation of what the bill says, I don't believe it can or will ever apply to anyone but commercial growers.

Not saying that it's completely incorrect, just that the whole site seems to be aimed at a certain amount of scaremongering and selling (alternative) ways to avoid the doom. I'd like to see a more mainstream assessment of what effects the Bill would have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Cleahaigh

Riiightttt *backs away slowly*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

"Furthermore, plant reproductive material exchanged in kind between two persons other than professional operators is excluded from the scope of the Regulation."

"As under this Regulation the definition of operator does not include private persons, the term 'professional operator' is used. Professional operators are defined by a single definition and shall be registered to ease the control activities. This register shall be combined with the register established under [title of the new Plant Health Regulation]. Basic obligations will be introduced for professional operators concerning the identification of the plant reproductive material they are producing or making available on the market, keeping of records, facilitation of controls and maintenance of the material. The traceability of any plant reproductive material is ensured by the obligation for the professional operators to have information one step before and one step after their commercial activities."

From,

http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/health_consumer/pressroom/docs/proposal_aphp_en.pdf

The above

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

It's not as bad as it appears, this is to achieve two aims, protection of copyright genetic materials and to curb the spread of diseases like the ash thing.
    Having said that... they had to start somewhere and once a principal is established no knowing what else will get added to it. I'm paranoid like that when it comes to gov regulation, they say it's one thing and then they say it was something else all along. Like the smoking ban was to protect non smokers and workers from secondhand smoke but now they claim it was to denormalize smoking and to encourage smokers to quit.
    Goal posts get moved all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

tommy2bad wrote: »
    It's not as bad as it appears, this is to achieve two aims, protection of copyright genetic materials and to curb the spread of diseases like the ash thing.
    Having said that... they had to start somewhere and once a principal is established no knowing what else will get added to it. I'm paranoid like that when it comes to gov regulation, they say it's one thing and then they say it was something else all along. Like the smoking ban was to protect non smokers and workers from secondhand smoke but now they claim it was to denormalize smoking and to encourage smokers to quit.
    Goal posts get moved all the time.

Its the same with recent gun laws and motorbike law. I just cant help to think that their ultimate goal is an outright ban on these things

• Advertisement
Advertisement