Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TEFL without a degree

• 07-05-2013 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all

I'm interested in doing a TEFL course in Dublin but don't have a degree (pregnancy related dropout). I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether there are any reputable courses that don't require a primary degree and if there are could anyone recommend the best of them?

To further complicate things I could only teach here in Ireland once qualified, not anywhere abroad, would this be possible without a degree? It would only need to be a few months' work during the summer, not necessarily a permanent job, as it's all part of a back-to-college master plan.

Thanks a million in advance for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭syntax1

I did i-to-i without a degree, then got a job in a secondary school abroad. Never did a pedagogic degree (though did a bachelor's and later a master's in fields unrelated to pedagogy).

To be honest, if your master's course does not require that you have a pedagogic certificate, why not skip the idea of working in a summer school and forget about the TEFL course and just start giving people grinds? You could start with conversation exchanges if you feel running straight into grinds would be too daunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 stephen.shortt

You don't need to have a degree to do the course but you will need one if you want to teach in a recognised school in Ireland.

If you travel abroad different countries have different requirements so the requirement for a primary degree was removed: http://teflacademy.com/course-details/minimum-requirements/

Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭upaho

Ballsbridge College which is VEC have a full time TEFL & Business Management course that runs Sept to Apr and might have a place left. ACELS cert and Fetac level 6 for the BM. Euro subsidy on the fees too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

You can do the CELTA without a degree but you'd have to have a degree to get a job in a language school for any CELTA only jobs. You'd
    get away without the degree in Asia though.

Advertisement