Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever had to avoid smoking to not get caught?

Options
  • 06-05-2013 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

I have a brother, who is a bit controlling tbh, and he says he knows I smoke because he can smell it off me sometimes (Thought I did a great job covering up the smell...:o) I said he can't tell my mother since I am an adult and it is my choice, whether it is bad or not, and he said he won't but I can tell he is just itching to say something so that he can have some control, I mean today he asked for my lighter for the fire and when my mam said who own the lighter, he said (For now, let's say my name is X) "It's X's, it's her PERSONAL lighter." Mam didn't really say anything to that, I have a feeling that she knows, but at least she knows she can't tell me to stop since I am an adult now (I'm 20).
    It's just pisses me off that this was my thing, whether it was bad or not, it was still my thing I had control over as an adult, and now I live in fear of control and of him blurting it out to my mother, who might decide to then to give out to me to look like a big person. I have been meaning to gve up or at least cut down, but part of me still wants to keep smoking to teach myself now to let anyone control my choices, it's stupid, i'll admit.

Sorry for the rant, it happen just an hour ago so I am still a bit ticked off.

So what I am asking is has anyone ever avoided smoking full stop for a couple of days when around certain people?
    My brother only ever comes down once every month or so and stays for a couple of days, is it possible to stop a couple days only, or would that drive me cracked? I will give up smoking altogether, but when I am ready and not stressed out by so many people, as you can see!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Schnitzel Muncher

Says a lot that you are ashamed for your family to know you smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

This is off topic a bit, but I have a sleeve tattoo, and a family who hate tattoos so I have to wear a jumper when I go over, even in summer :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

My mother, not for shame but respect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭rox5

Says a lot that you are ashamed for your family to know you smoke.

I am not ashamed as such, hell if there was a chance for me to go outside and smoke without anyone saying anything to me about it, I'd love that, it's just that I am more terrified of the consequences as my family can be controling at times, hell of the reasons I started was to keep myself sane from the stress I endure from some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Schnitzel Muncher

rox5 wrote: »
    I am not ashamed as such, hell if there was a chance for me to go outside and smoke without anyone saying anything to me about it, I'd love that, it's just that I am more terrified of the consequences as my family can be controling at times, hell of the reasons I started was to keep myself sane from the stress I endure from some of them.

Do you live with your parents?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

When I started smoking (at the tender age of 12) part of the appeal of smoking was the sneeking around. I'd walk from Finglas to Ballymun with a loose Major incase anyone saw me and told on me. It was the idea of being 'bad' that kept me going back to somthing that (at the time) I really didn't enjoy.
    I was about 25 before I'd smoke openly in front of my mum. She knew I smoked but I'd still not smoke around her.
    It might have been respect for her but more likely it was me avoiding the guilt trip she would give me.

Even now I still get an earfull when I head out (about once a month) for a cigar.
    Mothers eh? :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Reminds me of the days of putting masking tape over the keyhole in my bedroom door when i lived at home. Stupidly i was convinced that my Ma' & Da' wouldn't know i was puffing away and thought my little charade was working for months until i heard my Da' mutter "Feckin' smoke" outside the door one day!

It was a long time before i ever let them see me smoke. Not for being ashamed or anything but more to avoid the medical lecture from my Da'. Even now at family events when i pop out for a smoke he throws a certain look at me,something words could never convey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭rox5

Do you live with your parents?

Yes because I am at college so I come home weekends and holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

I do OP I don't like my parents to know that I smoke so I wash my hands and swallow tooth piste after every fag I smoke around the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Staff Infection

Well I used to smoke in secrecy too. First it was the ninja cigarette outside the house around the corner so I could hear anyone coming in time and discard it into the hedge if needs be. There were also those night time smokes where I sat outside on my window sill looking at the stars blowing my smoke so the wind carried it away from the house.

I used to always chew gum when I was finished, well one day I had left the packet of gum in the sitting room (rookie mistake). So I had to time my entrance so I could nip in while my parents were sitting watching telly, nab and gum and leave before they smelt my breath. I timed it wrong, I walked in just as whatever they were watching went to the ad break, they stood up and went to make tea like any self respecting parent does during an ad break but in doing so they smelt my smokey breath.

Cue what I thought was going to be an interrogation but in fact turned out to be "Do you want a cup of coffee son as you smell a bit smokey?" Turns out my Dad had saw me smoking one day when he was on the road and said nothing, they had known for weeks, they thought it wasn't a good idea but it was also my choice and respected that.
    Just wish I'd have come clean sooner as it would have saved alot of hassle and half finished fags being thrown into the ditch :)

So to the OP, they might already know so maybe try bring up the subject casually i.e. mention talking to someone in the smoking area of your local etc. and go from there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Whenever I'm at home, I either smoke while 'going to the shops' (armed with a ****load of mints and a can of deodorant) or wait until everyone's gone to bed, even though my family all know - I still won't admit it.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'm going to guess all your parents knew. When you're smoking, your sense of smell and taste are reduced. You can't smell the fags, but non smokers should be able to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭GBOA

I've been in the smoking and tattoo situation. I reckon most of us don't give our parents the credit they deserve as mine knew I was smoking for years before I 'came out' despite me taking extreme measures to hide it. They just came out with it and said if i wanted to smoke, it was my money I was wasting.

Surprisingly, when the tattoos were accidently displayed, it took me almost a week to get my ma off the ceiling. She went ballistic!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 gjose

Not in my family. Our family is a family of chain smokers esp my father;s. My ma was cool with it though. But I once had a chick who despised smoking and so I had to steal some me time for myself when we lived together.

Advertisement