Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global Business (USA)

Options
  • 06-05-2013 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there :)

Just wondering if anyone doing/as done the Global Business (USA) course in DCU could give me some feedback please?

I'm strongly considering doing it but finding it quite difficult to gather info on the course, especially student's experiences in DCU and Boston.

I'd really appreciate any help I could get :D

P.S. I studied business for junior cert (got a B in Honours) but didn't do any business subjects for leaving.....is it stupid to even consider business? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

Just bumping this thread up - anyone at all have any information about this course?

Would be interested in hearing about a student's experience in Boston, and a bit about work experience during the course, in both Ireland and the US. Got very little information I didn't already know already at the Open Day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Hi there :)

Just wondering if anyone doing/as done the Global Business (USA) course in DCU could give me some feedback please?

I'm strongly considering doing it but finding it quite difficult to gather info on the course, especially student's experiences in DCU and Boston.

I'd really appreciate any help I could get :D

P.S. I studied business for junior cert (got a B in Honours) but didn't do any business subjects for leaving.....is it stupid to even consider business? :confused:

DIdn't do the course but not having done a subject in secondary school is no real disadvantage when going into 3rd level. Most courses start from the basics and if not you can just catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 eoinm95

I'm in the course atm( only first year mind) but if you have any questions at all about course content or the course in general I'd be happy to try and help? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

Just wondering how many hours you have per week? Are they mainly lectures or would you have regular tutorials too? Thanks a lot :)

Tbh we don't have that many hours at all, liek in an average week we've only about 13 hours of lectures and tutorials. Well There's only 2 tutorials Economics and Maths, maths is every week and Economics is every second week. Neither are mandatory though! If you've any other question I'd be happy to answer! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Look up the US college. Its nothing special at all and in fact its a "for-profit college", so its very DBS. I wont a degree just so you can get a year abroad. There is always J1s during the summer.

The US school you're referring to is Northeastern and it's actually not a for-profit college! I don't know where your basis for saying it's not great is the business school is ranked 25th in the states and has a graduate employment rate of 89%...Oh and on the course you spend 2 years abroad, get 2 work placements; one here in Ireland and another in the US and you get a degree from both DCU and Northeastern at the end of the 4 years..Can't see any J1 giving you that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Conorb165

eoinm95 wrote: »
    The US school you're referring to is Northeastern and it's actually not a for-profit college! I don't know where your basis for saying it's not great is the business school is ranked 25th in the states and has a graduate employment rate of 89%...Oh and on the course you spend 2 years abroad, get 2 work placements; one here in Ireland and another in the US and you get a degree from both DCU and Northeastern at the end of the 4 years..Can't see any J1 giving you that?

I know regular students of NU spend their summer doing their co ops and do not get any holidays. Is it different for global business students do you get a summer holiday? Do you know if they give you co ops anywhere internationally or are they predominantly based in Boston? What kind of companies do students get work experience while at dcu? And for how long are the two stenths of work experience over the four years?

Advertisement