Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Smithwick's

Options
  • 06-05-2013 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

I am a regular visitor to Kilkenny as well as being a Smithwicks drinker.Where do you consider the best pint is served apart from the brewery.Also is there much Kilkenny beer sold and where.I find in Dublin there is no good flow of Kilkenny anywhere I have tried so it dosent be the best.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Reidy's, Doherty's, Nore bar, Lenehan's.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

Dohertys on friary st.Best in town bar none.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

I will second Doherty's as the best.

Also get a great pint in Cleeres too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I have had Smithwicks in Cleeres and it was good - never been to Doherty's though.

You can get a pint of Kilkenny beer in Kytelers, The Marble City Bar and (I think) Langton's.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Great pint in the Sceilp too

• Advertisement

+1.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

Folks thanks for the replies.Heading down tomorrow until Sat ,If you see somebody buckled on Smithwick's just make yourself known to me and I'll buy you a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

I know you only mentioned Smithwicks, but if you have the time and want to try a proper beer, I'd highly recommend the Brewery Corner on Parliament Street, they have a great selection of Irish craft beer.

Ha, I was waiting for that!

I like Smithwicks a lot myself so if you are a Smithwicks fan, try the 8 degrees sunburnt red ale in Brewery Corner.... different, but lovely.

By the way, Smithwicks is a 'proper beer'. Its statements like that that make people avoid craft beer establishments because they think they will be full of people like you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

good and smitwicks should not be used in same sentence
    I used to drink it years ago then they took the head off it it stopped selling,some of the worst pints were near the brewery

I thought they shut down the brewery,

black Guinness larger tastes the same except its black

http://www.advertiser.ie/kilkenny/article/48459

• Advertisement

Sky King wrote: »
    Ha, I was waiting for that!

I like Smithwicks a lot myself so if you are a Smithwicks fan, try the 8 degrees sunburnt red ale in Brewery Corner.... different, but lovely.

By the way, Smithwicks is a 'proper beer'. Its statements like that that make people avoid craft beer establishments because they think they will be full of people like you.

Can't say I agree, any time I've had it, it's tasted like beer flavoured water rather than proper beer. But hey, my main point was that the op visit the Brewery Corner as it's a fantastic addition to Kilkenny.
    If people avoid a craft beer establishment simply because I suggested it serves better beer than they are used to drinking, well it's their loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

Whoa whoa whoa, brewery corner? Craft beer in Kilkenny!? Since when is this?? Haven't been home in a couple of months but I never knew there was somewhere to get some different beers in KK! Where is it? Always thought that's one thing that's severely lacking in the city, somewhere to try a few different beers. Every pub should do it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Widows.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Mo14 wrote: »
    If people avoid a craft beer establishment simply because I suggested it serves better beer than they are used to drinking, well it's their loss.
    Well a guy came on the forum asking where he might get a beer he likes, and you told him that his beer of choice wasn't 'proper' beer. One might easily infer the same snooty attitude that you have prevails in places that sell 'proper' beer. In many cases it does, I am sorry to say.

If someone asks me where they can get a product that they like in Kilkenny, I tell them. I also make some suggestions as to other things they might like. I don't begin by insulting their tastes.

You never know, the OP might even be a beer expert that shares my view that Smithwick's is streets ahead of half the bathtub-produced ditch water masquerading as 'craft beer' in this country.

JoseJones wrote: »
    Whoa whoa whoa, brewery corner? Where is it?

Parliament Street, opposite The Watergate.

Sky King wrote: »
    Well a guy came on the forum asking where he might get a beer he likes, and you told him that his beer of choice wasn't 'proper' beer. One might easily infer the same snooty attitude that you have prevails in places that sell 'proper' beer. In many cases it does, I am sorry to say.

If someone asks me where they can get a product that they like in Kilkenny, I tell them. I also make some suggestions as to other things they might like. I don't begin by insulting their tastes.

Well I'm sorry that I didn't preface my 'snooty' reply with saying that the op will find Smithwick's in pretty much every pub in the county, and that as quality is assured by Diagio, it'll taste the same in all of them.

Advertisement