Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any problems taking hurleys to the States?

Options
  • 06-05-2013 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I'm moving to the States on thursday and i'm in two minds whether to take the sticks or not. Has anyone ever taking hurleys with them to the states? Will US officials think of them as some kind of weapon or something? Will it cost me extra to take them on the plane? Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

If your flying with Aer lingus the hurleys will cost you €50

see here..

http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinformation/knowbeforeyoufly/baggageinformation/

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Squareball

My brother had three hurleys taken off him at security in Dublin Airport going to the US last year. I'm sure there is a way to check them in but not sure. You can buy them over here but they are not cheap.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

You won't be able to bring them as carry on but you will be able to check them in no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Funfair wrote: »
    If your flying with Aer lingus the hurleys will cost you €50

see here..

http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinformation/knowbeforeyoufly/baggageinformation/

Thats if you check it in as is. If you include it inside a suitcase no-one will notice or care.
    My brother had three hurleys taken off him at security in Dublin Airport going to the US last year. I'm sure there is a way to check them in but not sure. You can buy them over here but they are not cheap.

Was he trying to carry them on or something? I have flown with chefs knives, arguably more dangerous than a hurley, and no-one batted an eye lid, once they was checked in inside a bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I seriously doubt you will have any issues. I know loads of people who have brought home baseball bats from America which is what I consider a weapon rather than a hurling. Plus if you put the hurley in a long bag and us it as a suitcase aer lingus probs won't charge you. My friend brought him own snow board to new hampshire in the us and aer lingus checked it in for free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

The US is irrelevant. It's the airlines that won't allow it as carry on. I brought 6 back as presents last time I was in Ireland.

syklops wrote: »
    Thats if you check it in as is. If you include it inside a suitcase no-one will notice or care.

Was he trying to carry them on or something? I have flown with chefs knives, arguably more dangerous than a hurley, and no-one batted an eye lid, once they was checked in inside a bag.

Tried to carry them on.

Squareball wrote: »
    Tried to carry them on.

No offence, but he's an eejit.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

We had a few in a bag one time that had the handles just sticking out, only about 6 inches or so, they were seen and removed and never returned, so I'd make sure that doesn't happen!

Palytoxin wrote: »
    We had a few in a bag one time that had the handles just sticking out, only about 6 inches or so, they were seen and removed and never returned, so I'd make sure that doesn't happen!

Were these checked in or carried on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

Were these checked in or carried on?
    Checked in, they just took them out and left a note on the bag after to say the bag had been opened, and they were gone. Must have thought them suspicious or something :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the USA were to change the rules on bats last week but have delayed it, so hurleys may be allowed in handluggage when this does eventually get enacted.
    http://www.tsa.gov/pil-sportequip
    and a nice chart
    http://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/files/assets/pdf/tsa_permitted_items_update.pdf

to summarize, an adult hurley (which is >24inch), under the new rules to come in, will be ok if it weighs <24 ounces which is 680grams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

the USA were to change the rules on bats last week but have delayed it, so hurleys may be allowed in handluggage when this does eventually get enacted.
    http://www.tsa.gov/pil-sportequip
    and a nice chart
    http://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/files/assets/pdf/tsa_permitted_items_update.pdf

to summarize, an adult hurley (which is >24inch), under the new rules to come in, will be ok if it weighs <24 ounces which is 680grams.

The TSA doesn't matter if the OP is going to the US. What matters more is the security at Dublin Airport.

That he might be but he is my brother and that makes you my enemy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

LeftBlank wrote: »
    The TSA doesn't matter if the OP is going to the US. What matters more is the security at Dublin Airport.
    of course.

BUT

The 11th september attacks happened in the USA and they are the ones who were at the forefort of restrictions, biometric passports etc.

what happens in Europe takes its que from USA so once the states rejigs its arrangements we are only going to follow.

The rules I posted havent come in yet so for the OP travelling on Thursday its irrelevant but its something to keep in mind here within the GAA fourm that there IS a movement on the issue of bringing hurleys as hand luggage that should come into effect in the near future.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I took sticks to Australia back in 2006, but it was checked luggage inside a case. Brought my own stick over from Ireland to the UK just tied to a kitbag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 TheSean

El Horse I smell ****. Some life you LIVE haha

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dtipp

I brought hurleys to San Francisco - or tried to.

When I got to JFK in New York there was only half a hour to the connecting flight, and so when my case came out I ran and didn't wait for the hurleys.

I made the flight (a miraculous story) and the following day, from San Francisco, I rang British Airways info in JFK and they put me on to someone.
    When I described them the guy said they had been wondering what the hell they were.

He asked me my address and they arrived to the door in SF the following day! Brilliant service.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

are u going to a wedding or a funeral ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭LOI Stats

My cousins tried to do this and were eventually allowed to bring them on after demonstrating what they were for.

It was an Iberia flight to Barcelona and the year was c. 1988. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭maco12

check them in..........altho tennis racquets are allowed as carry on

Advertisement