Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are physics graduates working in?

Options
  • 06-05-2013 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi I'm just interested in what past physics graduates are now working in?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Justin1982

Probably be easier to ask what are physics graduates not working in!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭plmko

Justin1982 is quite right. Physics graduates work in every area imaginable. Because Physics is everywhere is life, it means that Physicists are needed in most job sectors to solve problems. Strong areas that come to mind for me include Energy Conservation, Meteorology, Aeronautical, Astronomy, Finance, Nuclear Science, Medicine, Electricity and Magnetism.

You are employed in either Industry, Government or Research. Surprisingly, most graduates do not work in research. Here's a useful link which talks about where Physics graduates work in Ireland: http://gradireland.com/careers-advice/job-descriptions/physicist

Because Physics has such a broad spectrum of topics you can really use your general Physics degree to go on and work in the area that you especially like. I myself find Nuclear Physics very appealing and it is, in my opinion, a growing industry which plenty of scope.

I hope I have helped you. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to PM me.

plmko :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CiaraS27

Thanks for your replies. That's good info plmko, but I know the general stuff already, and it is very exciting! I was hoping to get responses from people who had graduated so I could figure out what they were actually working in now! I've met one person since who is working in Medical Physics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭thecatspjs

Laser diode design and testing. The semiconductor industry in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Justin1982

Ciara, what are you possibly interested in getting into?

Mise, I ended up working in PayPal/eBay in Blanch (absolutely class place to work) for about 6 months and then moved into Hedge Funds industry eventually settling in the derivatives pricing area which turned out to be interesting enough.

My mate got a job in Ericsson, giving courses in physics/engineering of mobile telecommunications. Involved a lot of travel and was kind of his own boss and allowed to work from home.

Another friend ended up in programing.

Others in secondary school teaching.

Lot of people go into research and further study in university.

• Advertisement
Advertisement