Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bakla/Ladyboys in SEA

Options
  • 06-05-2013 8:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

I've been in South East Asia for a good few months now and I've been asking myself this question for a while. Why are there so many more transgender people in this part of the world than anywhere else I've visited.

I've heard a few explanations. The one I don't buy is the "they can make more money as a woman", even the ones who have had a lot of work done and look 'pretty', I can pretty much spot (the hands and voice don't lie). I'd imagine there are enough real women out here that men would go to first if that's what they were after and that ladyboys are probably more of a niche market.
    The other is that it's more accepted here, this I can kind of understand as there doesn't seem to be the discrimination that they would suffer at home. Even straight men out here can act very effeminate and they aren't called on it. But does that mean that if we were more accepting, we'd have 10 times the amount of transgender men at home? Although let's face it, S.E.Asian men can pull off feminine a lot better than westerners seeing as they're generally smaller and skinnier anyway. I don't reckon any of my gay mates would choose to be a girl if they could pull it off either.

Anyone have any views on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

I've wondered about this myself. It's probably down to two things: Oriental males tend to have more unisex facial features and thus will pass better and have an easier transition, as opposed to some who would find passing incredibly difficult and decides to remain in the closet due to the difficult of transitioning. Secondly Buddhism is far more tolerant of transsexuals than most other religions.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

Is bakla a filipino word?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Bakla is actually a derogatory word for a transsexual in the Philippines according to the ones I know. It means more gay guy than transsexual.

There is 3 reasons that I have heard why there is so many in Asia and especially in Thailand. Up North in Thailand they would be very superstitious and its not uncommon for parents to dress their young sons as girls because of an evil spirit that takes (kills) boys in their sleep and after years of living as a girl they like it and just stay like that.

Another reason is the money. Alot of young boys are sent off to work in gay bars. They do make more money as ladyboys than as gay guys working in the sex industry. I know plenty of Thai ladyboys who reverted back to being a gay guy in their 30's after the "work" dried up as a ladyboy. I also know one who openly admits to being a ladyboy just for the money and actually has a female wife with two kids back up in the poor north of the country.

Then another reason would be its more accepting over there to be a transsexual. But in my opinion its only just. Ladyboys are still not allowed into some night clubs, bars, restaurants. Some places will only let them in with a bribe towards the door staff.

Also hormones are sold over the counter over there which makes transitioning a whole lot easier as they can get access to them at a very young age.

One reason why they are more accepting towards ladyboys is buddism. Supposedly that when you do bad things in your previous life you are punished in your next one by being a ladyboy. That's one reason why ladyboys in Thailand would be very religious and always making merit towards buddha.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Didn't know it was derogatory. Just heard the word a lot. The money one is still hard to get my head around. Surely all the surgery and such costs a fair bit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Yeah it would cost quite abit to Thai standards but its very common for a young transsexual over there to just get a foreign boyfriend to pay for them. It costs about 1250euro for average CC breast implants now. I remember years ago they only cost 900euro.

I wouldn't underestimate the want for money in that part of the world but I'd say the reason there is so many would be a combination of some of the things mentioned like them being more accepted, money to be made in the sex industry, religion, easy access to hormones at a young age etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭jonathan13

Bakla is a Filipino word refering to a gay friend or friends, at times derogatory but a lot has changed since the last 30years;)

Advertisement