Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Don’t cross near or at parked vehicles"

Options
  • 06-05-2013 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭

This post is more about the quote from the ROTR and less about what Losty Dublin or corktina have said.

From another thread.
    corktina wrote: »
    ROTR are advice , not the law. Common sense says you wouldn't cross near parked cars ... but in most urban situations, you don't have a choice.
    I'm wondering what people think of this. I live across the road from a park that occupies the entire block. If I were to only use pedestrian crossings and/or only cross where there are no cars, I wouldn't be able to get there most days.

Now it does make sense to be very wary of crossing where your line of sight to moving traffic (and vice versa) is limited and I would always stop at the traffic-side edge of the parked vehicles to check, before continuing to cross, but is the ROTR quote misguided?

1. Care should be taken around all vehicles, parked or not. SUVs, tall vans, buses and HGVs are more an issue than cars, although cars are more prolific.
    2. It is the matter of line of sight that is important, not any other factor.
    3. The risk of the vehicle pulling off or being shunted by another vehicle (and crushing the pedestrian) is rather slight.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I would see that qoute as referring specifically to crossing on rural roads rather than city streets as shown some years ago in the video for the safe cross code where children were told not to cross near parked cars or on the brow of a hill or near bends in the road. There are very few places in a city where one will not be near parked cars when crossing the road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

you can see reverse lights on parked cars

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

you can see reverse lights on parked cars

Not really a case of if you can see the reverse lights but can the driver see you

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

Victor wrote: »
    2. It is the matter of line of sight that is important, not any other factor.

It's important to consider both YOUR line of sight, and that of oncoming traffic, who will not see you as easily emerging from between parked cars.

Normally you are relying on two factors of safety - you are trying not to get killed, and the car driver is trying not to kill you. But if you cross somewhere that motorists visibility is reduced, you are reducing that to one layer of protection only.

Having said that, in urban areas, it is often difficult to find space clear of parked cars to cross. So common-sense and caution can be used to cross between vehicles, carefully.

Finally, every day I see an alarming number of people crossing while texting or eyes glued to phone. That's just asking for trouble!

C635

Advertisement