Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running electrical services behind insulation board - do's and dont's?

Options
  • 05-05-2013 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi,
    We're just starting extensive renovation work on our newly acquired home including internal insulation and a total rewire and replumbing. When running services behind the internal insulation (75mm Insulated Dry Lining with 12.5mm thick Gyproc Wallboard), is it okay to cut channels in the insulation board rather than chase the walls?

Electrician and builder are happy to cut channels, but I'm a little nervous about it.
    Any advice or guidance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Linto wrote: »
    Hi,
    We're just starting extensive renovation work on our newly acquired home including internal insulation and a total rewire and replumbing. When running services behind the internal insulation (75mm Insulated Dry Lining with 12.5mm thick Gyproc Wallboard), is it okay to cut channels in the insulation board rather than chase the walls?

Electrician and builder are happy to cut channels, but I'm a little nervous about it.
    Any advice or guidance?

There is nothing wrong with it once the runs are kept vertical with outlets but personally I wouldn't do it as it defeats the purpose of insulating and then cutting it away

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭daludo

is there anything in the regs about this????

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

To comply with regs the backbox should be flush with the finished wall.This can be done by using deep back boxs.25mm extension back boxs can also be used .I know chasing the walls is extra work but by cutting the insulation you are reducing its thermal value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

http://www.screwfix.com/p/tower-pvc-grommet-open-pack-of-100/11833

ask your electrician to fit these in case he doesn't plan to

surprising how many don't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

http://www.screwfix.com/p/tower-pvc-grommet-open-pack-of-100/11833

ask your electrician to fit these in case he doesn't plan to

surprising how many don't

Good luck with that one. Use plastic boxes :D

• Advertisement

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    Good luck with that one. Use plastic boxes :D
    why?
    nothing to it-i've fitted them on every box on jobs

i prob wouldn't recommend plastic boxes

why?
    nothing to it-i've fitted them on every box on jobs

i prob wouldn't recommend plastic boxes

Nothing to it but a pain in the arse, Nothing wrong with plastic boxes just you get the occasional numpty who breaks them :D

Nothing to it but a pain in the arse, Nothing wrong with plastic boxes just you get the occasional numpty who breaks them :D

you've obviously never used them?

what plastic boxes are you talking about

you've obviously never used them?

what plastic boxes are you talking about

What makes you say that? Dragging the topic off a bit there sunshine. Keep up the good work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Hate the metal boxes haven't broke a plastic one yet.

Now there are the bakelite ones probably spelt it wrong but they are like china and break all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Use dry lining boxes, fit them to the sheet before you fix it to the wall.

Use dry lining boxes, fit them to the sheet before you fix it to the wall.

The only issue with that is you'll end up with that plastic lip behind the socket.

Fix a baton on the wall behind the box plastic or otherwise. Easy done and measure so as box finishes flush with plasterboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

The only issue with that is you'll end up with that plastic lip behind the socket.

Fix a baton on the wall behind the box plastic or otherwise. Easy done and measure so as box finishes flush with plasterboard.

Makes it more difficult for fitting, buy decent sockets and you won't see the lip.

Makes it more difficult for fitting, by decent sockets and you won't see the lip.

Haha are you kidding me. you must be a plasterer. :eek:

Buy flat plate sockets and let me see how well you hide that lip. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 30 kieran24883

Completely agree Mr Fred, flat plate sockets and try lining boxes defeat the purpose, always metal boxes, plastic boxes for the handymen. Might as well do the job right when you create it. Click white sockets or click define flat plate, alert electrical in England are brilliant for prices and service

Completely agree Mr Fred, flat plate sockets and try lining boxes defeat the purpose, always metal boxes, plastic boxes for the handymen. Might as well do the job right when you create it. Click white sockets or click define flat plate, alert electrical in England are brilliant for prices and service

ya mr fred is prob a handyman by the sound of it
    he didn't hear that electricians don't use flush plastic boxes these days

ya mr fred is prob a handyman by the sound of it
    he didn't hear that electricians don't use flush plastic boxes these days

Don't talk soft ya numpty. I probably have more experience in my left testicle than you do in your entire body sunshine.

I love newly qualified apprentices think they know it all. :rolleyes:

apologies if you're an experienced electrician

it appeared from your posts that you were a handyman

lol

apologies if you're an experienced electrician

it appeared from your posts that you were a handyman

lol

apologies if you're not a numpty it appeared from your posts you were an experienced one. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭meercat

apologies if you're not a numpty it appeared from your posts you were an experienced one. :D

good comeback
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

ya
    he thought it was so funny himself he had to pm me a similar warblings

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭meercat

sorry,i will stay out of it,but it made me laugh

ya
    he thought it was so funny himself he had to pm me a similar warblings

Just incase you missed it the first time :pac:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Enough. That is not how professionals behave.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement