Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA

Options
  • 05-05-2013 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Guys I am currently on JSA and get 154 a week incl 2 half rate QC's. DH on JSB at 188 plus also getting 2 half rate QC's so approx 217 total. I have received an offer for college and want to apply for BTEA. Read somewhere that you could apply under spouse and get full rate, or am I just dreaming? Basically would be better to be able to get max amount possible.
    Also DH had been offered 2 days part time work a week but just for 3 or 4 months. Would this benefit us anyway in terms of BTEA if I add him as QA? Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Previous to the 2013 budget, if you were getting a reduced rate you would go up to €188 per week when you got BTEA, but now thats been changed and you now just stay on what every payment you are getting.

If your partner get some work, they will claim casual workers (x and o), the wages she would make would be taken from your JSA claim (371- the partners means).

You might be better off claiming and JSA and leaving the other persons JSB as you might need it in the future. No point claiming on JSB when you'll get the same amount on JSA without using up social insurance credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭charlie2505

You might be better off claiming and JSA and leaving the other persons JSB as you might need it in the future. No point claiming on JSB when you'll get the same amount on JSA without using up social insurance credits.[/quote]

Understood till above para. Could you explain more?
    Also when I was previously working, my hubby was on JSB and then when my days were cut from 5 to 2 he was able to claim for me as QA. His expected wage would be less than I got before, it's means tested I understand so maybe he was on JSA at that point?
    Don't understand so thanks in advance :)

Best way I can put is:

1 person works part time, other claims JSA / JSB means tested, could be same payment as it will be based on €372 (max for 2A and 2 Kids SW) less the workers means.

BUT JSB only lasts for 9 months, if you use it up then you have to work it back up again, no point wasting a non means tested payment when the amount will be the same no matter what you claim.

If in a few months time, you ended up getting a job for €400 per week, your partner could be able to claim their JSB and get €188 per week, but if its used up by then they may only get about €70 per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭charlie2505

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Best way I can put is:

1 person works part time, other claims JSA / JSB means tested, could be same payment as it will be based on €372 (max for 2A and 2 Kids SW) less the workers means.

BUT JSB only lasts for 9 months, if you use it up then you have to work it back up again, no point wasting a non means tested payment when the amount will be the same no matter what you claim.

If in a few months time, you ended up getting a job for €400 per week, your partner could be able to claim their JSB and get €188 per week, but if its used up by then they may only get about €70 per week.

Sorry I have to admit I didn't really understand this?

OK, dont claim your partner's JSB save it until you are working full time.

Claim JSA, you'll be getting the same money when you're working part time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement