Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a good Hurling DVD or Final to show lads who have never seen the game?

Options
  • 05-05-2013 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭

I have had an unusual request for a hurling DVD! It's for some lads who have never seen the game played live and are not familiar with it.

Just hoping some of you GAA heads can recommend either a good All Ireland Final or other such DVD to showcase the best of the game!
    Would be really appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭ratracer

Sundew wrote: »
    I have had an unusual request for a hurling DVD! It's for some lads who have never seen the game played live and are not familiar with it.

Just hoping some of you GAA heads can recommend either a good All Ireland Final or other such DVD to showcase the best of the game!
    Would be really appreciated :)

Best game I can remember would be the 2005 all Ireland semi final between Galway and Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

ratracer wrote: »
    Best game I can remember would be the 2005 all Ireland semi final between Galway and Kilkenny.

Beat me to it.

Any of the finals from the nineties either, Offaly's comeback in 94 and the scenes for Clare and Wexford in 95 and 96 make great viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭deise man

Waterford v cork 2004 munster final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Waterford-Cork 2004 and Kilkenny-Galway 2005 are both good shouts, great games.

Always partial to Limerick-Waterford 2007 myself :D

Tipp-Galway in the quarter-final a few years back, that was a great game too. Limerick-Cork in the U-21 final of 2011. There was a club semi-final in 2011 too, Clarinbridge and De La Salle, I think...fantastic game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

The Kilkenny Tipp finals from 09 to 11 were all good matches. (All 3 watched together has a nice narrative with the previous years loser coming back to win the next one)

The 2008 final was very one sided but is probably the greatest performance I've seen a team give in a big match

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Thanks for all the recommendations so far. I only get one chance to persuade these guys that hurling is the best game out there and they really need to take it up!!! So keep em coming :D as the dvd is going to be sent along with a few hurley's to play with!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 rkrkrk

ratracer wrote: »

+1

Was sitting in front of a bunch of sports mad Aussies who were over for a rugby sevens tournament and thought they'd take in a game in Croke Park. They'd assumed it was a football game and had never heard of hurling. Got a tap on the shoulder to explain what was happening. To a man they thought it was the most amazing sport they'd seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

chasing glory dvd features the waterford games of the 00s, some cracking games on it....kilkenny v wexford in 2004, cork v wexford in 03 i think, ended in a draw rory mccarthy goal, cork v clare 05 all ireland semi, kilkenny v galway in 2005 semi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭DustyMan

Limerick Offaly 1994 (I think?) All Ireland. I watched this in the company of a friend (Romanian, living in London) who never saw a hurling match before. He was amazed by it! I was too! Incredible come-back by Offaly!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

a DVD from a junior b game down in Cork or somewhere would be a more accurate reflection on the sport

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    a DVD from a junior b game down in Cork or somewhere would be a more accurate reflection on the sport

Would it fuk. :p

Stick to the earlier suggestions of Galway's magnificent victory over the cats in 2005. (Followed closely by Galway's fabulous victory over the same team in the same fixture 4 years earlier). :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 243 ✭✭Fits Morris

What are the ingredients that would turn somebody who had never seen a sport before on to it?

A classic match, goals, a packed attendance, an intense atmosphere, and sunshine always helps.

Matches that tick all of these boxes over the last 25 years are:
    Cork v Galway 1990 - has all of the above
    Cork v Waterford 2004
    Cork v Waterford (draw) 2007

Tipp v Kilkenny 2010 has all of those ingredients bar the sunshine.

The latter stages of Limerick v Clare in 1996 has them all bar the goals, but it does have the greatest point in history, Ciaran Carey's winner.

The Tipp v Cork replay in 1991 if you can get a hold of it would be another great choice.

The Clare v Tipp final from 1997 is another match that had all the ingredients you'd want, culminating in one of the greatest finishes of all-time, with Tipp's two-goal comeback, Jamesie O'Connor's majestic winner and Davy Fitzgerald's dramatic save from John Leahy.

http://www.thegaastore.com/en/Sideline-1997-All-Ireland-Hurling-Final-Clare-v-Tipperary/m-513.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BQQ

Tipp v Kilkenny 2010 has all of those ingredients bar the sunshine.

2009 surely?

2010 was a damp squib after the king went off.

BQQ wrote: »
    2009 surely?

2010 was a damp squib after the king went off.

They were both epic matches and the hurling in both matches was of the highest quality ever seen but 2010 is slightly more memorable for me because of Kilkenny being denied five in a row and because there were more goals. The game was there to be won too right up to the last three or four minutes when Tipp pulled away. The 8 point gap at the end was a very misleading scoreline as regards the closeness of the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,796 ✭✭✭kksaints

2009 Hurling Final is probably the best final I can think of.2011 wasnt that good. Both 2009 or 2010 (:() are better to watch for a neutral. 2011 was more like 2006 final between Kilkenny and Cork very intense but not as high quality as other finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Waterford - Cork 2004 is one of those games where everyone remembers where they saw it. Unusual as that's usually something you reserve for finals.
    In the context of great games it had everything as it was tight pulsating action from start to finish. Great hurling by both sides for the full game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Galway v Kilkenny 2001 when Kevin Broderick scored this point to keep Galway ticking over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

i'm partial to the '95 final myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

KK v Cork 2003 Final was a great game.

Any of the Cork Waterford games from 2003-2007.

Galway v Kilkenny 2001, 2005 and 2007, all great games.

Kk v Tipp 2009-2010 epic contests.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭dartup

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Any of the finals from the nineties either, Offaly's comeback in 94 and the scenes for Clare and Wexford in 95 and 96 make great viewing.

nail on the head, just for the last 10 minutes alone, a defender and sub scoring crucial goals, and Loughnane's pre second half comment "we are going to do it"

An honourable mention could be the 1998 semi final, if things don't go your way and the ref blows up prematurely, protest and march onto the field

The 2009 final was pretty exciting Tipp v Kilkenny

Advertisement