Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coomon Law Society

Options
  • 05-05-2013 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭

I have just sent this email to them, because while I support their general concept, I am very wary.

" [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]I have read your web site publications, and have very considerable sympathy for the actions you are taking, particularly in respect of the new flurry of taxes, charges, levies, fees etc. that are being inflicted upon the people in order to pay off investors who, according to the EU elite, cannot be allowed to lose irrespective of how rashly they invested. The new property tax and water tax spring immediately to mind as being the potential straw for the camel’s back. You are advising people upon civil and constitutional law, and (if I understand your position) are supporting the Attack The Tax initiative. Basically, it seems to me that the latter are advising people to willfully break the law that their government has enacted, upon the belief that it is unconstitutional or illegal. For the average family that is a major and very risky step since the consequences could be disastrous, and the average family do not have legal experts in their midst. They have the government on one side stating bluntly “You will pay, and if you don’t we will drain your savings and strip you to the bone.” On the other side we have yourselves telling us that such threats cannot be carried out. So who do we believe? Where do we Joe Public place our roulette chips?

Your web site seems to imply that among the enemies to be faced are solicitors and lawyers. That may be so, but without them, how are you going to fight cases in the courts under Constitutional or civil law? How many such people are active and advising members of the Common Law Society? I don’t want names, but I do want to hear about the range of qualification and experience they have. How many are qualified SCs or judges? I don’t want legal advice from amateurs or activists thanks. I am not about to risk my family’s future on the inflammatory output of activists.

Having said the above, it is great regret that, to me at least, it has become apparent that the people need a means of defending themselves against their own government between general elections. Possibly your organisation could fulfill that role, but you must justify what you say with proper legal statements from legal experts. Throwing your toys out of the pram is not sufficient in a modern society. If you have advisers who are in fact judges, barristers, constitutional experts, can they not come into the open and explain their views? Why are they then taking any more of a risk than Joe Public is being advised to take — or is it a case of providing the bullets for some soft Joe on the front line to fire? Is it possible that those people might just quietly slip back under the radar of privilege if it all goes wrong? Consider how many of the common people you are prepared to sacrifice for your ideal."

[/FONT]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Who are the common law society and what does it have to do with the principle of common law?

I take it by their name that they fully recognize and adhere to court judgments?

Advertisement