Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renovations and Extension to period home

Options
  • 05-05-2013 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I realise that there are many threads on renovations and extensions etc, but I have a situation that differs in a few ways.

First of all, we were trying to buy a house for over a year, it went sale agreed in Feb 2012 and by the time we actually got to buy it, it was jan 13.

We had been trying to line up architects/contractors since about Sept 12 and thought that we had someone ready to go for when the house was fully handed over to us. The designer was found through the contractor, but we were not obliged to get the contractor for the works, although they worked with the designer in getting the plans within our budget.

We submitted planning application in March with plans that the Architectural Designer had drawn up, and put the job out to tender. The contractor that we were dealing with to that point had agreed, based on a cost plan, what we could afford to have on the plans.

When we sent out the plans for tender it is then that we noticed the issues with the plans and the architectural designer, we now know that the plans are badly designed and we cannot build from them. Then the contractor came back to us, and did a u turn on the original cost plan, and the works are now over 25K above what they agreed. Items that they had agreed with us as included in the original cost plan, are now "optional extras" on their bill of quantities.

This is the very short version of the story.

What we need now is a good architect (not too expensive) to design and work with us during the course of the project. We are also looking for a contractor that will do the works honestly and within our budget, which is tight but manageable.

We have been ripped off already by the designer and contractor and need to get this work done as soon as possible.

If anyone knows of a good architect and contractor (that we can trust), I'd be grateful to know your suggestions.

If anyone wants to know the full story (fairly unbelievable), designer and contractor, PM me and I'll let you know. We were very skeptical about the contractor, but we did trust the designer.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Post here please taking note of the first post there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement