Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheese? More like refined plastic!

Options
  • 04-05-2013 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or is the overpriced refined plastic that is supposed to be cheese a far fling from the cheddar of my youth? I thought it was down to my confused memories until today when I randomly tasted some grated cheese in a salad. It was the same amazing cheese I remembered from days long gone.. The sort of cheese that put the 3.99 for ten slices of Charlevillle you get these days to shame!

Sadly the place I got the salad couldn't tell me where they had got the cheese but said I could pop in during the week and try find out again.

Comments

The best cheese to be found is between your toes.

Delicious and free.

Cheese has gotten more expensive, like everything else. Stop buying the cheap stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

Edz87 wrote: »
    The best cheese to be found is between your toes.

Delicious and free.

Wrong, the best cheese is cock cheese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

Goats cheese is the best. And brie, and camembert...mmm cheese :)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭boomtown123

Wexford cheddar....yum :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

some cheeses are made from oil no milk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

There was a lot of dairy microbiology in my H.dip. Essentially, making processed cheese is like making beer by sweeping up the soggy sawdust on an old bar floor and squeezing it into a glass until you have a pint. Then charging a fiver for the privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,337 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Port Salut. Where is your god now, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

That moldy cheese can kill me

So I just avoid it as best I can, I like my life, it serves me well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Cheese has gotten more expensive, like everything else. Stop buying the cheap stuff.

3.99 for ten slices isn't cheap.. Also I'm not saying there isn't more expensive and thus better cheeses but there seems to be a serious difference in the quality of cheddar cheese that I used to eat and the crap that is sold today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Steve O wrote: »
    Wrong, the best cheese is cock cheese.

How often do you have "the best cheese"? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Cheeses, Mary and Joseph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

jay-me wrote: »
    Is it just me or is the overpriced refined plastic that is supposed to be cheese a far fling from the cheddar of my youth? I thought it was down to my confused memories until today when I randomly tasted some grated cheese in a salad. It was the same amazing cheese I remembered from days long gone.. The sort of cheese that put the 3.99 for ten slices of Charlevillle you get these days to shame!

Sadly the place I got the salad couldn't tell me where they had got the cheese but said I could pop in during the week and try find out again.

That plastic crap has always existed. In fact there had been an increase in good cheese since my youth - the 80's. I thought that all cheese was plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

Cheeses, Mary and Joseph.

That comment is a bit too cheesy for my liking

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Sliced cheese is sprayed with something to keep it fresh Ive heard.

Best not to buy sliced cheese?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,303 ✭✭✭✭Victor

jay-me wrote: »
    Cheese? More like refined plastic!
    You do know that they are individually wrapped? Yes? :pac:
    Sarky wrote: »
    There was a lot of dairy microbiology in my H.dip. Essentially, making processed cheese is like making beer by sweeping up the soggy sawdust on an old bar floor and squeezing it into a glass until you have a pint. Then charging a fiver for the privilege.

Much of the cheese slices / processed cheese market is made up of cheese blended with other dairy products. Disturbingly, I saw a product in Tesco referred to as 'Cheese Food'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

F1ngers wrote: »
    How often do you have "the best cheese"? ;)

There's always a heavy buildup after a hangover horn.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

nothing but the best fillet of cheddar in chateau du nod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Wexford cheddar....yum :)

lovely cheese and on special in dunnes at the moment

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You're not wrong about cheesy plastic
    http://www.plastiquarian.com/index.php?id=60A
    Casein plastics were introduced at the beginning of the 20th century, their starting material being the protein in cows milk, precipitated by the action of the enzyme rennin.
    As well as buttons and buckles, casein was also used for knitting pins, fountain pen and propelling pencil barrels, dressing table ware and a host of other items.

And because it's AH
    The first Russian factory for artificial horn was started up in1928 at Mnewniki, near Moscow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I had some 'supervalu sliced cheese' a while ago and it really did feel and taste like cardboard. Anyone like cheesestrings? I love them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

uberalles wrote: »
    Sliced cheese is sprayed with something to keep it fresh Ive heard.

Best not to buy sliced cheese?

years back, a friend of mine worked in a cheese production plant near Limavady. He said he would never eat cheese slices again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Ardagh grated cheddar in Aldi is delicious and reasonably priced at 2.99 for a big bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

carzony wrote: »
    I had some 'supervalu sliced cheese' a while ago and it really did feel and taste like cardboard. Anyone like cheesestrings? I love them :D

you do realise that cheese strings are about as much cheese as udders and testicles, thats 4%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

IM0 wrote: »
    you do realise that cheese strings are about as much cheese as udders and testicles, thats 4%

I once worked with a lad who subsisted entirely on Red Bull and Cheesestrings. He took quit a few sick days, unsurprisingly.

Gorgonzola melted onto a homemade pizza - bliss :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

IM0 wrote: »

:eek: I'v often eaten 24 of them in one go

• Registered Users Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Apparently since Irish incomes have risen since the 1970 Irish cheddar is the only grocery item that we still spend the same proportion of income on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

hfallada wrote: »
    Apparently since Irish incomes have risen since the 1970 Irish cheddar is the only grocery item that we still spend the same proportion of income on

I'm taking all my money out of bitcoins and investing in cheese

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

kraggy wrote: »
    Ardagh grated cheddar in Aldi is delicious and reasonably priced at 2.99 for a big bag.

yep that's a nice strong cheddar,only decent stuff at that price.dunnes have a good range of English cheddars too,the proper stuff but it can be pricey

Advertisement