Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repair of wooden garden furniture in Dublin?

Options
  • 04-05-2013 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭

I have a teak garden set, table & four chairs which are about 8 years old.

The last couple if winters they've been neglected - left outside and untreated. The table has lost a couple of slats & a couple more are loose or warped.

The chairs are loose & both table & chairs have cracks & separation of joints. The wood is discoloured & rough.

Is there anywhere in Dublin that could restore them for a reasonable price?

I don't necessarily want to trash them and buy new because I don't have €400/500 to spare & I believe that there's still life in them.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I don't understand why relatively new teak furniture should be in such a state. Teak can typically last 75/100 years even in harsh marine environments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭OU812

I agree with you on it being relatively new, hence my reluctance to trash it. I suppose it's relatively low cost mass produced so not the best quality to start with, but it's all I have right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Reader1937

Perhaps the slats are quite thin - easily made and replaced as a hobby for yourself, or replace the lot with thicker ones while you are at it. You might be better with the lot replaced as it will remove the pibald look from the surface and leave you with a more durable set. Do dry the set sand it and oil it though.

Advertisement