Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treason?

Options
  • 04-05-2013 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭

Now I am no legal expert, as this thread might make apparent, but another (seemingly unsubstantiated) thread in Afterhours got me thinking.

If a TD, Minister or any other high ranking public servant can be proved to be acting according to the demands of a foreign state (namely Vatican), when conducting the business of this State, and when said persons influence actually or potentially creates a result that is in conflict with the best interests of this State (or against the directive of the Irish people, as given via referendum), does this qualify as treason?

I realise it would be very difficult to prove motivations beyond a reasonable doubt, so I guess my question is hypothetical, presuming it could be proved.

My intention is not to start another abortion thread. I am wondering if this could apply to many issues of personal freedom in a liberal society, Equal Marriage, Euthanasia, Public Education, even the constitution. Is the current constitution unduly influenced by a foreign state?

Are the Vatican State and RCC considered one entity? If so, I see no good reason why this is not applicable (although there may well be many good reasons I am unaware of).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    Now I am no legal expert, as this thread might make apparent, but another (seemingly unsubstantiated) thread in Afterhours got me thinking.

If a TD, Minister or any other high ranking public servant can be proved to be acting according to the demands of a foreign state (namely Vatican), when conducting the business of this State, and when said persons influence actually or potentially creates a result that is in conflict with the best interests of this State (or against the directive of the Irish people, as given via referendum), does this qualify as treason?

I realise it would be very difficult to prove motivations beyond a reasonable doubt, so I guess my question is hypothetical, presuming it could be proved.

My intention is not to start another abortion thread. I am wondering if this could apply to many issues of personal freedom in a liberal society, Equal Marriage, Euthanasia, Public Education, even the constitution. Is the current constitution unduly influenced by a foreign state?

Are the Vatican State and RCC considered one entity? If so, I see no good reason why this is not applicable (although there may well be many good reasons I am unaware of).

Interesting idea. Can't ever see it happening in practice but interesting nonetheless.
    Are the Vatican State and RCC considered one entity?
    This thread about the Vatican may be of interest to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Jernal wrote: »
    Interesting idea. Can't ever see it happening in practice but interesting nonetheless.

This thread about the Vatican may be of interest to you.

Thanks Jernal I had forgotten about that thread. I started it too. It was soon after I joined Boards and had a few busy weeks leading up to Christmas where clearly didn't log on and I havn't read much of it.

It likely will never happen in practice, but I wonder is it possible to legally object to the influence of another state? Perhaps there could be benefits to the RCC having their own 'state'?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    [...] I wonder is it possible to legally object to the influence of another state? [...]
    In the normal run of events, and certainly within countries inside the EU, that's going to be pretty hard. You could try campaigning for the introduction of the kids of laws that Putain has introduced in Russia -- harrass or ban organizations that "take money" from abroad -- effectively human rights organizations -- but that'll win you few friends here.

Also, the Vatican has a first-class record when it comes to distancing itself from the actions of its local reps, so even if you did manage to introduce something into law, I think you'd have a hard time making anything stick.

And that's quite apart from the wide and deep lack of interest that the police, the legislature and the judiciary has shown in prosecuting/calling for the prosecution of the institutional church for the massive, international pedophile scandal, let alone something far more nebulous like the application of metaphysical political pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

It's pretty much the reason why Catholics weren't allowed to be even married to the UK Monarch, never mind be the monarch.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,347 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

robindch wrote: »
    In the normal run of events, and certainly within countries inside the EU, that's going to be pretty hard. You could try campaigning for the introduction of the kids of laws that Putain has introduced in Russia

Tch... I didn't say I was making it public domain, like, Rob.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

seems apt to put here:
    http://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/05/22/crown-duels/#comments
    Professor John Crown, consultant oncologist and Seanad member has proposed that all members of the Oireachtas swear an oath of allegiance to the Constitution. His initiative may have been prompted by the proposed abortion legislation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭Popular Hardback

tin_foil_hat.gif

Advertisement