Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

raw files

Options
  • 04-05-2013 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭

i decided to experiment a take a few shots with my canon - i changed the settings to take raw and now when i transfer them them to my pc i cant see them, they are appearing as CRW_2323 and CRW_2323.THM - can anyone advise what i should do next to view these files.
    Thanks in advance - only ever got jpegs before and im lost.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

The software that came with your camera will handle them.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

As will Lightroom or Photoshop. Don't worry, once you get the hang of them you'll never shoot jpeg again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

You probably need to install the canon RAW codec

v1.11 - http://www.usa.canon.com/nw3s/CanonUSA/DownloadContents/English/0200255003EN.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭dball

My photshop elements wont open them - the link above for canon software seems to be dead - (its an EOS 10D) and i dont know what to do with the files - im able to see that they are CRW and THM files. HELP still lost :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

If all else fails download the latest Picasa, it will see your RAW files
    It is a freeware program

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Loki98

Is your camera a 650D by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Cookie P74

Point #5 on the link below is for how to process raw files for the 10d, if you don't have any image editing software you should download this or something similar (along with the Canon Raw codec mentioned above):

http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_10D.aspx?type=faq&page=1

thanks for the advice - i got picasa to do the job,

cheers for the help - love the results now i gotta improve the person working the camera

dball wrote: »
    thanks for the advice - i got picasa to do the job,

cheers for the help - love the results now i gotta improve the person working the camera

what i actually meant to say was HELP!!!
    i have the canon software codec downloaded but i dont know what to do with it.
    Picassa allows me to view the files but in their original state they are 15MB and in picassa they are only 10-20KB - Im still lost

can anyone offer assistance, thanks,

I have photoshop elements but they are unable to open the files still

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,122 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

does the adobe DNG converter help? it should be able to convert your canon specific RAW files into a more universal RAW format.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BobCobb

Do you want to just view the pics or work on editing them?

Are you using an older laptop by any chance?
    AKAIK Microsoft only introduced the ability to view RAW files relatively recently.
    If you're running XP, Vista, and possibly even W7, you mighht not be able to view them off the bat.
    However, on the microsoft website you can download a new plug-in which will allow you to view RAW pics in Windows Photo Gallery or whatever it's called.
    Google it if you can't find it on the MS site.

I don't really understand what each type of file means myself, just that RAW is somehow better! Gotta read up about it...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

BobCobb wrote: »
    Do you want to just view the pics or work on editing them?

Are you using an older laptop by any chance?
    AKAIK Microsoft only introduced the ability to view RAW files relatively recently.
    If you're running XP, Vista, and possibly even W7, you mighht not be able to view them off the bat.
    However, on the microsoft website you can download a new plug-in which will allow you to view RAW pics in Windows Photo Gallery or whatever it's called.
    Google it if you can't find it on the MS site.

I don't really understand what each type of file means myself, just that RAW is somehow better! Gotta read up about it...:o

A RAW file contains all of the data that the sensor sees and records, unprocessed and uncompressed. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

10-20 kb is probably only the thumbnail and not the actual photo file.

A RAW file contains all of the data that the sensor sees and records, unprocessed and uncompressed. That's all.

That's what I thought alright. I guess I just don't know how a jpg or whatever is formed from the raw file.
    I don't ever really do any processing of shots, so the whole thing is a bit of a mystery to me, for the moment at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Maybe have a read of this it should help you understand the difference.

http://www.photokaboom.com/photography/learn/Photoshop_Elements/raw/1_raw_processing.htm

maringo wrote: »
    Maybe have a read of this it should help you understand the difference.

http://www.photokaboom.com/photography/learn/Photoshop_Elements/raw/1_raw_processing.htm

Thanks for that; good, clear information there.

Advertisement