Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U-21 Football Final

Options
  • 04-05-2013 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭

All Ireland U-21 Football Final

HT

Galway 0-9 Cork 0-5

Some incredible football played by Galway their finishing has been incredible only 2 wides from them so far and a lot of their scores have been very high quality scores. Cork have woke up in the last 10 minutes now look like they will push Galway all the way it looked like Galway were going to steamroll them or a while.Should be a great second half and Galways forward line have been a joy to watch so far

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Kinder Bueno

Varley's having a blinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭megadodge

Good game of football.

Ian Burke really looking an outstanding prospect - as we found out to our cost in the Connacht Final.

Game over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Have we finally found some midfielders in Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Game over!

Doesn't look that way now....

• Advertisement

Well done Galway. Well deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Great game of football.Galway have some classy players.Thats 2 u-21 championships for them in the last 3 years.Surely they will be able to get some success at senior level with these u-21 teams

Great game of football.Galway have some classy players.Thats 2 u-21 championships for them in the last 3 years.Surely they will be able to get some success at senior level with these u-21 teams

Success at this stage would mearly be classed as getting to a 1/4 final and/or winning a qualifier.

Depressing how bad things went after 1998-2001, not a win in Croke Park and just one win in the qualifiers(vs Louth in their weaker days).
    For a county our size population wise and given the winning tradition, we should never have dropped to those lowly figures(at our worst we should be getting into a 1/4 every two or three years, hardly an optimistic assessment)

Hopefully this is the start in seeing some pride restored to the county.
    I'd be in favour of bringing in four or five from that team for the Mayo game as the current lot weren't up to much in the league this year to warrant sticking with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

No disrespect to Cork but looks like i was right on the All Ireland U-21 semi finals thread when i said Galway had probably already played the best sides in Mayo,Kildare,Roscommon. Of Cork's three in row munster winning teams the 2011 one was their best team.

Well done to Galway got the rub of green in the Connacht championship but deservedly won both AI semi final and final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Thinkstoomuch you are missing the point of a teams name is on the trophy. It's the manner of Galway's wins thus far that makes it hard to see past them and that's not to disrespect Cork it's just the way sport goes sometimes.

As it proved Galway had their name on the trophy. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭spud65

well done galway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

No disrespect to Cork but looks like i was right on the All Ireland U-21 semi finals thread when i said Galway had probably already played the best sides in Mayo,Kildare,Roscommon. Of Cork's three in row munster winning teams the 2011 one was their best team.

Well done to Galway got the rub of green in the Connacht championship but deservedly won both AI semi final and final.

Cork were at worst the second best team Galway played this year, they looked way better going forward than Kildare did or Mayo sounded, a team who have had trouble finding reliable scorers at minor the last couple years. Indeed they were far more economical than us too. You are completely under-rating Cork in terms of this year's crop, for what reason I do not know.

The standard was probbably down on last year a tad but you'd be happy to watch those Galway forwards play football every day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,252 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Yes. We'll done Galway. A few stars for the future shone
    today. We need them badly. O'Curraoin,Ian Burke,Shane
    Walsh,Daithi Burke to name a few.
    A bit worrying that we let a 9 point lead slip & went the last 20 minutes without scoring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Syferus wrote: »
    Cork were at worst the second best team Galway played this year, they looked way better going forward than Kildare did or Mayo sounded, a team who have had trouble finding reliable scorers at minor the last couple years. Indeed they were far more economical than us too. You are completely under-rating Cork in terms of this year's crop, for what reason I do not know.

The standard was probbably down on last year a tad but you'd be happy to watch those Galway forwards play football every day of the week.

It's more calling it as i see it.

This years standard was around the same level as 2010. In fairness to Cork they have won three in row Munster titles no average side does that and Cork should have plenty of talent to come from those three teams for their senior team however in my opinion Cork left the 2011 All Ireland behind them against a better Galway side in the semi final while today they never looked like beating a Galway side that rode their luck to reach the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Syferus wrote: »

Kildare were probably the best side we faced. Galway played well that day, but still the 29 wides from Kildare were what killed them. I'd agree that Cork are still a good side. Galway put on a display today that was on a different level to anything they have produced all year, especially in Connacht, and that's what proved the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

I thought Kildare were better as well they kicked a lot of wides against Galway however they didn't do that in the Leinster championship. Well done to Galway lucky enough to come out of Connacht championship but like most sides that win All Ireland they made the best of the rub of the green that came their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

Sorry forgive me but all hail the champions

Gaillimh abu

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Kildare were probably the best side we faced. Galway played well that day, but still the 29 wides from Kildare were what killed them. I'd agree that Cork are still a good side. Galway put on a display today that was on a different level to anything they have produced all year, especially in Connacht, and that's what proved the difference.

I wouldn't lionise it too much. FOC and Flynn destroyed the Cork midfield and fed the inside forwards. It was really was simple as that. No team is gong to be able to stop those forwards if they're getting good service, nevermind continuous service. Walsh actually had a poor day but Burke and Varley picked up the slack. They did nothing I hadn't seen them do multiple times this year and that is a testament to them as players. The Kildare performance was more impressive overall because they were cleaned out and had to out-fox a very physical team while losing the possession battle by a large margin. Winning pretty looks great in the papers but being able to win the game where things break down is the mark of a good team.

The Galway backs did put in their best performance of the year today but in what little ball Cork did get they were very economical. I think that Cork team is a version of the Kildare team that can actually take their scores.

With one midfielder performing reliably they'd have beat Kildare nine times out of ten, but even besides I'd still fancy them to beat them, Kildare's forwards simply have poor shooting instincts and that's something that's very hard to fix on the fly.

Bcck from the game still on on high plus a couple of beers

Still dreading Mayo in perase stadium though

• Advertisement
Advertisement