Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loan for leaving college

Options
  • 04-05-2013 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

I'm in my final year of college and have secured an engineering job for straight away after i finish. The office is located well outside dublin and i want to get a loan so i can buy a car.
    anyway i contacted my local ulsterbank branch to ask for €6k. They said that although my account has always been in good shape they cannot give me anymore than €2750 because i have an undergraduate student account and "thats their policy".

My question is: has anybody an idea where i should go now? and will other banks have access to my track record over the past few years?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

pidgeyd wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm in my final year of college and have secured an engineering job for straight away after i finish. The office is located well outside dublin and i want to get a loan so i can buy a car.
    anyway i contacted my local ulsterbank branch to ask for €6k. They said that although my account has always been in good shape they cannot give me anymore than €2750 because i have an undergraduate student account and "thats their policy".

My question is: has anybody an idea where i should go now? and will other banks have access to my track record over the past few years?

Have a talk with BOI or whatever your college bank is, they usually have graduate loans for engineering and science related grads. NUIG have a €6k one for any science or engineering, it's up to the branch what they want to do but your's might have something.

About the lack of track record, I'm getting a 2K loan from BOI and i'm new with them, they didn't seem to mind as long as there was something in the account, which there is like €100

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

For that sort of amount, which presumably you hope to clear fairly soon after you start work, I'd try and borrow from a number of relatives. The banks will screw you.

You may, unknown to yourself, have an aunt or uncle with a few bob in the credit union. They could borrow the amount for you and you pay the repayments.

You might look at the amount you want to borrow and see could you get yourself on the road, taxed and insured, for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Juicy432

Go to your local Credit Union.

Advertisement