Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying active subs - advice appreciated

Options
  • 04-05-2013 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking to get a sett of active subs for bigger venues.

I am preferably looking for 18" subs, for ~€1000 for the set.

I don't mind buying secondhand equipment, as long as I'm getting something fairly decent.

Any input/advise appreciated,

Cheers, Dan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Rcf's 4pro
    Jbl prx(not 100% on the name of the range)

Are two I can say a very good. It would have the be 2nd hand with those. Otherwise you could try Thomann/musicstore's own brand or Behringer for a pair of new subs on that budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭DanielGibbons

Rcf's 4pro
    Jbl prx(not 100% on the name of the range)

Are two I can say a very good. It would have the be 2nd hand with those. Otherwise you could try Thomann/musicstore's own brand or Behringer for a pair of new subs on that budget.

Cool, cheers for that. Was looking at Mackie SRM1801s too, reviews seem to be brutal though. Theres also the Mackie SWA1801s, saw a set on adverts for 1250. Any experience with these? Or are modern Mackies to be avoided?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Mackie's stuff are fine. Not sure of the model number but they've a 18" sub thats massive in weight and ugly to look at.
    What tops you using?

Some subs come with a power out to power the tops, which is very handy.

Mackie's stuff are fine. Not sure of the model number but they've a 18" sub thats massive in weight and ugly to look at.
    What tops you using?

Some subs come with a power out to power the tops, which is very handy.

Almost certain your talking about the SWA1801.
    I currently have a Peavey setup, 2x 12" tops and 2x 15" bins, all passive. Also have 2x cheap-ass 12" Fender tops.

What I'm thinking is, run the tops off my powered desk, sell the passive bins, and use active ones. Then upgrade my tops when I get money :P

Was doing a gig recently and I had the whole Peavey rig running off the desk, this was before I got the Fenders. It was a bit harsh on it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mongo

I wouldn't be so sure of the Mackie bins tbh. I'm also on the look out for an 18" active bin. Stuff is expensive. A set of Behringers would be cheap but I'm not sure what they'd be like.

• Advertisement

Mongo wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure of the Mackie bins tbh. I'm also on the look out for an 18" active bin. Stuff is expensive. A set of Behringers would be cheap but I'm not sure what they'd be like.

What worries me about Mackies is some of the reviews I've seen on other forum sites... And the fact that Thomann sells "refurbished" Mackie SRM1801s for €498 each, when they're €711 new..

Yeah secondhand stuff is pricey - but I suppose you get what you pay for! I've worked with people who had Behringer gear in the past, the general consensus seems to be that the stuff is pretty good, but not worth fixing if something goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭godfrey

Behringer and Thomann 'own brand' speakers are absolute rubbish. Sonically, construction, everything.

Don't do it to yourself!!

g

godfrey wrote: »
    Behringer and Thomann 'own brand' speakers are absolute rubbish. Sonically, construction, everything.

Don't do it to yourself!!

g

Any suggestions for my budget? Not strictly 1000, maybe a bit along with it..

Also spotted a pair of american audio 18" subs.. any opinions in these anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭godfrey

It's not really the realm I work in, my comments are based on observations by a pal in pro audio repair, but have a nose around in Ireland before buying online outside of the country. Thomann and Musicstore are NOT always the cheapest for name brands.
    Maybe there is a music shop in your area? If you're anywhere near Limerick check out Future Sound and Vision on Mulgrave St. and Steamboat Music on Steamboat Quay.

Also:
    www.fohaudio.ie
    www.perfal.com

g

godfrey wrote: »
    It's not really the realm I work in, my comments are based on observations by a pal in pro audio repair, but have a nose around in Ireland before buying online outside of the country. Thomann and Musicstore are NOT always the cheapest for name brands.
    Maybe there is a music shop in your area? If you're anywhere near Limerick check out Future Sound and Vision on Mulgrave St. and Steamboat Music on Steamboat Quay.

Also:
    www.fohaudio.ie
    www.perfal.com

g

Yeah fair enough, I know what you mean! I'm actually in college in Limerick, so must go in for a gawk one of the days!

Once I have my mind made up I'll check all around for the best price, don't worry :P

• Advertisement

What are people's experience with/ opinions of American Audio?

These seem like good value...
    http://www.adverts.ie/speakers/2-x-american-audio-pxw-18p-powered-subwoofers/2574574

• Registered Users Posts: 17 y2stevo

What kind, size of venues would you be looking at covering?
    What style of music and at what sort of volume levels are you looking to get?
    What instruments are you micing?

Advertisement