Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age do they start cursing

Options
  • 04-05-2013 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

So my seven year old dropped something last night and said "Sh1t!"
    I was somewhere between shocked and laughing. I put on the stern face and said "I dont want to hear langue like that" or something to that affect. I know that he has recently heard the "F word" from kids in the class but he seems to understand that that is a much worse word. I do swear myself (never at him) but possible overheard while on the phone or talking with other adults. I cant remember what age I was when I started cursing or when i first learnt these words. Just looking for other peoples experiences.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

I probably first knew about swear words when I was 4 or 5 from hearing it from other children. Can't remember exactly when I started swearing casually but I'd say I was around 9 or 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

MRTULES wrote: »
    I do swear myself (never at him) but possible overheard while on the phone or talking with other adults.

Do as I say and not as I do?

It is not surprising that you heard him swear if you do it as they are just words, no one will die because someone said sh!t, if you don't want him to swear, then don't do it yourself.

My parents never swore and I was about 15 with my mates before I ever did. I would still never swear in front of my parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

I think they know far more than we want to admit.
    I do say 'sh@£' and Jeeeeeze, (when under stress!)

I would ignore some words, as they are often testing you, to see how you would react.
    I think you are taking the right path, explaining that you would rather that language not be used at home.

If it's any consolation, am battling with the word 'like'...."she like said this and I like said that and then we like"....this is with teens - it can be a phase. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I manage a show for under 16s, the people in the group this year range from 9 to 15, it's so funny to hear the 9 year olds giving out to the older ones for saying something like crap or damn! My little cousins (7 yrs) gave out to my mom for saying brat! I'm 21 and I still don't feel right cursing in front of my parents, even though my dad always cursed around us at kids. I'll say sh1t and fe€k occasionally in front of them but if I say anything more my mom still gives out, even though she does it herself. My first time properly cursing in front of my parents, I dropped a slice of cake on the floor and said sh1t, immediately realised what I did and slapped my hand over my mouth, my mam just burst out laughing and said it was okay because it was an accident! I was about 10 at the time I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

My son when 2 1/2 gave the perfect execution of the F word. He was trying to build a tower or something, and it collapsed, the F word came out, he sighed and went back building it again. We pretended not to hear, and carried on what we were doing.

He is 11 now, and I imagine he swears like a fishwife when with the other lads. You might hear a damn or crap in the house, when something doesn't go his way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement