Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drilling an RSG for pipes

Options
  • 04-05-2013 8:02am
    Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭

Getting some plumbing into the house and getting differnt quotes.

There is one contractor who seems to think that the other guys I got quotes off are taking different (unnecessary) routes for pipes, and he can achieve a better result/finish by drilling x4 1inch holes through an RSG that's between the bathroom and second room, so pipes can stay at floor level and I don't need to be building partitions to hide the jump in the pipe coming over the RSG.

Can this be done as I'm worried when I here of an RSG getting holes put in it?

I did express my concerns and he mentioned something about the middle 3rd of an RSG does nothing to support the wall onto as it's the top and bottom third that does all the supporting, so once the holes are in the missile 3rd its fine.

Anyone any input?

I posted this in the plumbing forum cause I'm sure you guys come across RSG all the time on your plumbing routes, but if the mods think its better suited in another forum then please move.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

4 holes might be too much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Are these 4 - 1" diameter holes or 4 holes to take 1" pipes , an rsj is generally designed to take extra stress etc .
    When I am drilling or burning holes in joists it is usually on a new build and I would consult with the architect before I do it , and then I would do it as if it was a timber joist with the same rule for spacings .
    If your plumber does decide to bring the pipes through the rsj make sure he sleeves the pipes as hot / heating pipes do move and will rub against the sharp / rough steel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Im guessing It will be x4 1inch holes so im guessing it's for 1 inch pipes using a 25mm drill bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Can i ask if you are getting RSJs put in, are you after engaging a structural engineer ? If you are after consulting a structural engineer, then he could quite quickly tell you the safest place to make 4 holes, and the distance to keep them apart aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

+1 talk to your s.eng.
    But from what I can remember if you keep in 800mm from edge on a 203x103 ub, drilling 4x 32mm holes in a straight line and centre on ub shouldn't be an issue. When you start trying for 110mm holes is where it gets really structural.

Always seek engineers advice when altering these elements.

• Advertisement
Advertisement