Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai Displaying tax discs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,412 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

carzony wrote: »
    http://www.thejournal.ie/motor-tax-garda-bike-exempt-893459-May2013/

Surely a Gardai car/bike doesnt really have to display a tax disc? Sure who would seize it if it didnt have one :p:p What a waste of time and money,

Did you read the article,they don't have to display a disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

kneemos wrote: »
    Did you read the article,they don't have to display a disc.

You'll probably find that they do - just they don't have to pay for it....
    However garda vehicles are still kitted out with up to date tax discs as it is a requirement that vehicles exempt from motor tax display current tax discs if they are used in a public place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

kneemos wrote: »
    Did you read the article,

Did you? :P

"Reader Robert Keogh" really needs to find something better to do with his time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

http://www.thejournal.ie/motor-tax-garda-bike-exempt-893459-May2013/

Surely a Gardai car/bike doesnt really have to display a tax disc? Sure who would seize it if it didnt have one :p:p What a waste of time and money,

What about unmarked vehicles?:P

A someone mentioned before - they are exempt, but still have to display - unmarked vehicle is good example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

wonski wrote: »
    What about unmarked vehicles?:P

A someone mentioned before - they are exempt, but still have to display - unmarked vehicle is good example.

Of course you'd need it for an unmarked, Saying that you'd be a bit stupid if you didn't realise it was a garda car. I mean most of them stick out like a sore thumb:p..

• Advertisement

Of course you'd need it for an unmarked, Saying that you'd be a bit stupid if you didn't realise it was a garda car. I mean most of them stick out like a sore thumb:p..

Some of them don't... But those Mondeos do...
    They should have big EXEMPT stickers all over the body, easier to spot than tiny discs.

Some of them don't... But those Mondeos do...
    They should have big EXEMPT stickers all over the body, easier to spot than tiny discs.

Some are nearly impossible to spot simply because you'd never think they'd be driving such old cars. Best example is a 01 corolla and the 01 camry mentioned in a few of the ES forum.

There are more, know someone who worked at one of the station - couldn't believe what they drive. Seen 98 reg dirty white LWB Transit van (far from Garda look) pulling over a car in town - didn't have a chance to check their tax disc unfortunately...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Some are nearly impossible to spot simply because you'd never think they'd be driving such old cars. Best example is a 01 corolla and the 01 camry mentioned in a few of the ES forum.

Don't forget the 94 Laguna, X5, 00 Punto, Celica and many many more.

What I see some doing is putting in NCT discs off other cars of course out of date but to make the car look like a normal person's car....

There are more, know someone who worked at one of the station - couldn't believe what they drive. Seen 98 reg dirty white LWB Transit van (far from Garda look) pulling over a car in town - didn't have a chance to check their tax disc unfortunately...

When was this? not that many of them transits around anymore.

Can Anyone remember if they used many puntos back in the day? Reason I ask is that a few years ago I bought a plain white 00 punto (allegedly ex gardai) I bought it off a mate for f.all really. It had a big hole cut in the dash and the middle brake light had a gap in it, Similar to how you'd see the mondeo brake light.. Never kept the reg would have been intresting to see if it actually had of been a Gardai car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Can Anyone remember if they used many puntos back in the day? Reason I ask is that a few years ago I bought a plain white 00 punto (allegedly ex gardai) I bought it off a mate for f.all really. It had a big hole cut in the dash and the middle brake light had a gap in it, Similar to how you'd see the mondeo brake light.. Never kept the reg would have been intresting to see if it actually had of been a Gardai car.

They had a good few and still have. There is a few 03 yaris marked cars and there is a mondeo in the city 03 marked also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Customs use a 90s red van. Think it was a SWB transit.

No more than 2-3 months ago in Naas - one smart lady tried to turn right at big no right turn sign written on the road (she actually blocked the road for longer than she should, seemed fair to pull her over). Uniformed Garda btw, but you wouldn't notice given the car he drove. Not sure if it was Traffic Corps, and if they use them.

No more than 2-3 months ago in Naas - one smart lady tried to turn right at big no right turn sign written on the road (she actually blocked the road for longer than she should, seemed fair to pull her over). Uniformed Garda btw, but you wouldn't notice given the car he drove. Not sure if it was Traffic Corps, and if they use them.

Very suprised they still use these, Great van but from what I have heard very,very sluggish and nightmare when it comes to rust. It's suprising how they can keep these vehicles a mystery for so long :pac:

Advertisement